Zone Valves - are they worth including

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I've employed a Worcester Bosch approved plumber to fit my boiler and connect to some pipe work I have pre-installed. The CH pipework I completed due to complexities of renovation works but I have 1 question before recalling my plumber to fire it all up and register.

The boiler is in the loft and branches down to Zone 1: radiators in the house and Zone 2: a John Guest UFH mixer valve/pump and loop in a kitchen annex on the side of the house. My initial research and advice from John Guest suggests 2 zone valves be fitted on each flow branch (plus inclusion of an auto bypass valve near the boiler). Each zone being monitored by a seperate thermostat.

MY QUESTION: Are the zone valves worth including? I ask because surely the UFH will always be demanding some heat to remain in setback mode. The radiators also have TRVs so I'm starting to doubt the logic of zone valves. Are they worthwhile? What's the advantages of including the zone valves? The boiler is Worcester 30CDi and my plumber will connect up with or without them - I think payment is his priority. Thoughts welcome.

Sponsored Links
how are you going to control anything with room stats if you don't fit zone valves :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Good points, thanks

I will proceed with 2 Honeywell valves included.

The question was floating in my head because an initial plumber said they were not necessary, but he was a flash harry in a flash car who seemed more interested in answering his mobile rather than looking round my proposals. Hence he did not get the work and your answers have cleared my one last nagging doubt before I call back the plumber I do trust.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back