What is trolling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Trolling is going onto forums and deliberately making offensive, abusive, polemic posts with the sole intention of provoking arguments and flame war, and baiting and trying to offend and upset as many people as you can.

According to some it would be pointing out when a contributor has ripped a page straight from google and posted it verbatim as though it was his own thoughts and without acknowledging the source. There is one on here (no names, no pack drill, know what I mean wink wink) who makes a particular habit of this.
The same person would seem to see somebody pointing out when he's talking bollix as trolling, not to mention aggresive, offensive and abusive. :LOL: :LOL:

is it too late for you two numpty's (dictionary.com says "passionate about their views" = numpty) to agree to disagree and shake hands and move on?

Sponsored Links
The definition oif Trolling has been set for years.

According to wikipedie:

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion. In addition to the offending poster, the noun “troll” can also refer to the provocative message itself, as in that was an excellent troll you posted. While the term troll and its associated action, trolling, are primarily associated with Internet discourse, media attention in recent years has made such labels highly subjective, with trolling being used to describe many intentionally provocative actions outside of an online context. - just as i said but more verbosely.

Soeeys post above was a classic troll, designed to provoke an argument, except it failed.

I would have described it more as a statement of fact.
I would also point out that I have been on this forum for over 4 years now and never felt the need to point out plagiarists before now, I wonder why.

I would have described it more as a statement of fact.
I would also point out that I have been on this forum for over 4 years now and never felt the need to point out plagiarists before now, I wonder why.

as a neutral, i have to say, Sooey...on the face of it.. your posts do seem the most inflammatory

.....and they may well be factiully correct.... but isn't it time to bury the hatchet (except in each other's heads)..... you pair together could be quite a force on here !

Trolling is also a form of angling. A line is played out behind a boat which is moving, left in the water until a fish goes for the bait.

Seems like a few on here like fishing !! ;) ;) ;) ;)

Umm the attacks tend to be initiated by sooey,

As a fly on the wall can I ask two questions?

1 Do you ever, as Sooey implies, plagiarize and present others writings as your own? If not perhaps Sooey could give examples or apologise.

2 What reason could he possibly have for the personal attacks?

Lincsbodger

Posted: Thu May 20, 2010 11:29 pm Post Subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

harlod wrote:
Does all of this not just beg the question of what is a working definition of "life"?

Not at all. Life is that which possesses some or all of the following characteristics:

Homeostasis: Regulation of the internal environment to maintain a constant state
Organization: Being structurally composed of one or more cells, which are the basic units of life.
Metabolism: Transformation of energy by converting chemicals and energy into cellular components (anabolism) and decomposing organic matter (catabolism).
Growth: Maintenance of a higher rate of anabolism than catabolism. A growing organism increases in size in all of its parts, rather than simply accumulating matter.
Adaptation: The ability to change over a period of time in response to the environment.
Response to stimuli: A response can take many forms, from the contraction of a unicellular organism to external chemicals, to complex reactions involving all the senses of multicellular organisms. A response is often expressed by motion, for example, the leaves of a plant turning toward the sun (phototropism) and by chemotaxis.
Reproduction: The ability to create the next generation.

Link to wicky page contining the above
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life

Electricity.

In a typical British winter, electricity demand peaks at around 59 gigawatts. Last year, 45 per cent of that was met by North Sea gas, 35 per cent from coal, 15 per cent from nuclear.

By 2015, we shall need around 64 gigawatts - but by then four of Britain’s ten elderly nuclear stations will have shut down, and North Sea gas production will have fallen by two-thirds from its 1999 peak.

We shall breach every international agreement if we remain big coal-users without using costly and unproven ­carbon-capture technology to clean it. At least a quarter of our generating capacity will have gone.

Read the energy report published two months ago by the Royal Academy of Engineering (RAE). This presents a terrifying picture of government inertia and folly.

It says: ‘In technological terms there are no choices to be made.’ In order to keep the lights on and meet commitments to a low-carbon economy, ‘the demand is so large that every available technology will be needed as quickly as possible.

‘With over 80 new nuclear or CCS [Carbon Capture] power plants required - around two per year - along with vast increases in all forms of renewables, building the system would require an enormous effort, probably only achievable by monopolising most of the national wealth and resources.

So the Lib Dems had better stop p******g about, otherwise they may well keep there 'principles' on green energy while we shiver in the dark and industry grinds to a standstill. Remember the Winter of Discontent - when the TV went off at 10 PM by order to force everyone to go to bed and stop using electricity, and factories were on 3 days weeks cos they only had power 3 days in 5 ? We need nuclear power, s**t loads of it. and pd **** q.

Link to max Hastings page containing the above.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1280318/MAX-HASTINGS-Why-I-fear-lights-Britain.html

In my opinion, in both of these example the information was presented in such a way as to lead readers of this forum to think that lincsbodger was the author.

Nice work Sooey :cool:

There's always one of these copy and paste trolls on every forum, good to see one finally get his ass handed to him :D

When I posed the 2 questions in my previous post, I honestly believed that Sooey would say no more. Instead, he's come up with a reply which is more Fooey than Sooey - a brilliant counter to Lincsbodgers claims.

Lincsbodger, on the face of it, you are guilty of plagiarism since you fail to acknowledge the original author. What is perhaps worse is the fact that you try to decieve fellow members by omitting that reference. Shame on you. :arrow: :arrow: Quick exit!

There you have it lincsbodger, you have now been accused of plagiarism by not just me, but two other forum members as well.
Now, would you care to defend yourself against this instead of just accusing me of trolling, or being offensive, agressive , etc.
Over to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back