Changing a 3 gang 2 way switch to 2 gang 2 way?????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am currently in the process of changing all light switches and socket and have decided to change a 3 gang 2 way switch to 2 gang 2 way switch (hallway has 2 lights which were previously controlled by two seperate switch on the 3 gang but i want to connect these into the same terminal so they are controlled by 1 switch)

The 3 gang switch was a different to the new 2gang (older) so i am a bit confused about what to put where etc, the new swtich have L, L1, L2 i have attached a picture of how i have it setup currently but it is not working correctly so if someone could show me what to put where that would be great.

[/img]

Sponsored Links
not got a picture just now but it was something like A1, A2 etc i think and had about 7/8 terminals

Do you have means of testing for voltage or continuity, you need to find the permanent live.
Schoolboy error not making a note of connection and conductors of previous one! :cry:

Sponsored Links
Ha i know didnt think i would need to though as the new switch was different terminal setup. Im pretty certain i have got the permanent live its 1 wire containing 1 red wire and 1 earth. I have connected that into the L on 1 side and bridged across the the other L terminal. I have then connected blacks into L2 and red into L1 on either side.

And no dont have multimeter :(

88stevo";p="3086438 said:
not got a picture just now but it was something like A1, A2 etc i think and had about 7/8 terminals[/quote

It would have 9 terminals.

Each individual switch has three terminals, typically one common, one L1, and one L2. Or as you have said, L, L1, L2. They vary, see.

How different is your new switch wiring to your old switch wiring? Which wires have you put in a different place?

You have listed A1 and A2. Need to the know what the third terminal is. I imagine either A or A3, but without knowing we can't tell you how they would 'equal' new markings L, L1 and L2.

Can you put the old switch back as it was, take a photo, then we tell you how to do it?

You say two lighting have you picture of the terminals and conductors of the other switches making the two way functions?
The older switch terminals were likely A, A1, A2, B, B1, B2, C, C1, C2.
If you convert the A, B and C terminals would now be the L of each gang and L1 and L2 will relate to A1,B1,C1,A2,B2 and C2 on each gang.

You would want to make sure you have the twin and earth sets correct for each gang, I would get one light working first, so perm live at L1, then a red to L2 and a Black of same twin to L and see how the function works.
There are number of differing methods of making two way circuits to work,so without test equipment could mean swapping conductors around terminals until you get it right, trial and error and not the best method.

Were the two lights in the hall only controlled at that switch plate and on separate switches on that same plate.

Was the third switch controlling another light that is two way (also controlled by another switch elsewhere).

Looks to me like you have 4 cables entering at the top of the switch, are these 3 X Twin and earth (red, black, bare copper earth), and 1 x single red + earth.

Looks like you've got two seperate feeds at your switch position.

I take it at the moment you've just randomly connected all the wires to your new switch in the hope it'll magically work? Even I am struggling to get my head round it just now. :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back