Fuel poverty

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Although I will not be in the fuel poverty stats ..I am finding it harder to keep up with the bills, with us being at work all day we obviously use less energy at home so god help the elderly and unemployed who have to have the heating/electricity going all day they must really find it hard to keep up with the bills, with the winter now taking effect there will be a lot more elderly who will die which I think is a national discrace and our goverment should hang their head in shame.I remember last winter a pensioner was on tv saying she could not pay her bills and her choice was heat or eat.

Sponsored Links
My heatings not on yet and won't be for another month or two if I can help it.
Had an electric bill today for the last quarter.
£40 quid. :mrgreen:

Not had my heating on either. People are soft these days.

Too right Joe. They don't make them like us any more.

Sponsored Links
Bloody electricity meter is running at around £4 per day now. This time last year it was costing us around £30 for a month. Yet the electricity company are making even more profit now than they did last year. They can't justify the increase they've just lumped on. Pure greed.

Wow Norcon I wish that was my bill.....I pay over well over £100 a month but that is gas and electricity.

My heatings not on yet and won't be for another month or two if I can help it.
Had an electric bill today for the last quarter.
£40 quid. :mrgreen:

Jeeezz, mine was £40 a quarter about 15 years ago...do you only have one bulb and walk around with torches??

Bloody electricity meter is running at around £4 per day now. This time last year it was costing us around £30 for a month. Yet the electricity company are making even more profit now than they did last year. They can't justify the increase they've just lumped on. Pure greed.

you should buy shares in your eletricity company and reap the rewards of their greed !!

The was a time when the elderly used to spend the day in the local library to save on heating the house but obviously a lot of libraries have had to close to help out the chums of Millionaires Cameron & Osborne.

I visit a fair few homes in a week and I would suggest that energy is still too cheap judging by the way that many homeowners still try to heat their homes with cheap junk B&Q fires, or boilers with no proper controls on... Add to that the fact that they still haven't adequately insulated their homes yet have fancy TVs and other such consumer nonsense. I fail to see why the energy companies are wrong to show a profit..... Instead of bellyaching about it all use your noodle and figure out how to save your expensive heat from escaping....

I visit a fair few homes in a week and I would suggest that energy is still too cheap judging by the way that many homeowners still try to heat their homes with cheap junk B&Q fires, or boilers with no proper controls on... Add to that the fact that they still haven't adequately insulated their homes yet have fancy TVs and other such consumer nonsense. I fail to see why the energy companies are wrong to show a profit..... Instead of bellyaching about it all use your noodle and figure out how to save your expensive heat from escaping....
with respect, that's nonsense... energy companies are making profits which completely dwarf inflation. The point is that we are a captive audience, and we all need fuel - some more than others - and yes, we can switch, but it's not as easy as standing in Tesco and looking at the lable on a Heinz tin of beans and then looking next to it at the Tesco value variety.

The energy companies move prices en masse which means we can only find morsel savings... prices should be capped... energy is not a luxury item... !!!

The government won't tax the greedy football payers because they'll all fook off to Spain, so they tax me....so i can't fook off to Spain !!

a lot off the increase is to pay for the compulsory elements like reduced tariffs for the poor and needy
compulsory targets[free light bulbs/insulation /energy saving devices]
subsidizing renewable energy like giving people around 45p for every unit returned to the grid from home generation like solar panels

that why the government talk tough then go into negotiations with the energy companies and say we should shop around for the best deal

Cap the price and the profits that they make and they'll sell their energy to those who will pay.... Simple as that. Time to stop wasting a valuable commodity..... We could easily build homes hat are so well insulated that they would require very little energy to heat... How many homes have loads of 50watt GU10 spot lights? I've seen kitchens burning over a kilowatt just to light them.... As I said, energy is still too cheap. If it was expensive, then folk would do something about it and use less

As has already been said, we the consumers are a very captive audience though. Look at car insurance,, Once the technology etc was in place so that uninsured vehicles could be crushed etc, what did the insurance companies do?? Put the bloody price up, and blame it on (guess what) Uninsured drivers. :eek:
Perhaps corgigrouch goes shopping? Does he spend the same on the weekly shopping as he did a year ago? I very much doubt it. No amount of insulating your home will put food in your belly matey. It's time the government did step in and cap energy prices so these companies didn't make as much profit.
According to the news the energy companies were making about £15 per customer profit (per year) Now they are making £125 per customer per year. How can they justify such a big rise? Hmmmm ,,,oh yeah GREED.

Sponsored Links
Back