Moving header tanks (vertically, 1m)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. This seems like a very easy task but I want to check I'm not missing something. As indicated in my other threads, I'm weighing up my options concerning my boiler and CH system. If I keep my current back boiler (ground level) then I will at least move the two header tanks (1st floor, high) but leave the hot water cylinder (1st floor, floor level) in place. This will give me some very welcome space to shrink the "airing cupboard" type thing and will get the filthy tanks out of the bedroom:

V7lEBkq.jpg

There's loads of attic space directly above that ceiling and I was thinking of just cutting the pipes (eight in total, in/out/excess return/overflow for each tank), using compression fittings to insert about 150cm of new pipe, and then reattach it to the tanks in the attic in the exact arrangement they're in now. Essentially just chopping the whole top part of the cupboard in the pic and shifting it upstairs.

Is that all there is to it? Seems like no problem... but there's always a problem.

Sponsored Links
Weight is what you need to think about, make sure that they are well supported on a solid base.
Looks an old cylinder so it would be wise to check if you're immersion heater has a manually resettable overheat cut out. If not change it for new one.

Weight is what you need to think about, make sure that they are well supported on a solid base.

Yea, It will be about 120kg, no more than that. Spread out over 4 or 5 joists should be ok?

Looks an old cylinder so it would be wise to check if you're immersion heater has a manually resettable overheat cut out. If not change it for new one.

That heater is (badly) wired to a plug, I suppose I'd have to plug it in to make it work if I needed it.

An update to anyone who finds this and wants to use it to help them. It seems to work fine:

O7BfyUTl.jpg

sHe2a8bl.jpg

Platform in the attic, built with fence posts and floorboards, and arranged over a main beam:
nfYKgxJl.jpg

Tanks in place:
wvj996Cl.jpg

Sponsored Links
You need to build a tank platform which FULLY supports the cisterns - by the look of your photo I wouldn't count on that for decent support. The central heating header looks to be partially supported by the pipework - not a good idea!

Platform is usually timber bearers set across the joists - spreading the load and a full platform (plywood) screwed to the bearers.

A few isolators would have been handy as well - on cold feeds to cisterns and supply to cylinder.

Nice use of PTFE on all the couplers!

You need to build a tank platform which FULLY supports the cisterns - by the look of your photo I wouldn't count on that for decent support. The central heating header looks to be partially supported by the pipework - not a good idea!

No weight goes through the pipework - the larger tank rests directly on the large joist but I imagine the platform itself would hold it if required. It does feel pretty secure, I weigh twice what the full tank will and I could detect no flexing or movement from the platform when I jumped around on it.

The fence post legs are set atop the smaller joists so the weight goes down into them.

Notice in the before picture - the tanks then were just sat on a shelf, basically. Some florboard-type planks only supported at each end, about 70cm long.

Platform is usually timber bearers set across the joists - spreading the load and a full platform (plywood) screwed to the bearers.

A few isolators would have been handy as well - on cold feeds to cisterns and supply to cylinder.

Nice use of PTFE on all the couplers!

There's an isolating valve in every pipe, in the "downstairs" part. Screwdriver-operated ones, so perhaps can't be distinguished from couplers in the picture!

What a rough old job, non compliant in so many ways, illegal workers would be proud of it though :) Gonna insulate any of it?

What a rough old job, non compliant in so many ways, illegal workers would be proud of it though :) Gonna insulate any of it?

Yea I'll wrap the cold header tanks up. They're not filled yet, I don't use heating or hot water :cool:

Is that a isovalve on hot water vent pipe? I hope it's not..... :confused: Isovalve on vent pipe is illegal.

Your tanks need to be on plywood that support the whole of bottom area of tanks. This is important, especially if the heater overheat and boiling in the tanks and will burst if there's no support under whole of bottom.

Daniel.

Is that a isovalve on hot water vent pipe? I hope it's not..... :confused: Isovalve on vent pipe is illegal.

People use so many different terms - clarify what an isovalve is exactly? If it's what I think it is then yes there's one on every pipe. So I should remove them from the pipes that run back into the tanks, the kind of overflow type things?

Isovalve is like a valve that turn off and on water. Like a stopcock. If there is a valve on vent pipe ( the pipe coming out of top cylinder ) remove it and it must be open to vent with no valves between cylinder and vent end.

Also no valve to be fitted to primary vent pipe ( heating side ),

Daniel.

Isovalve is like a valve that turn off and on water. Like a stopcock. If there is a valve on vent pipe ( the pipe coming out of top cylinder ) remove it and it must be open to vent with no valves between cylinder and vent end.

Also no valve to be fitted to primary vent pipe ( heating side ),

Daniel.

OK, thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back