Overloaded my sockets?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I'm pretty sure I've overloaded a socket.
I plugged a new printer into a 6 socket extension block that already had 5 sockets filled. I imediately lost power from the wall socket and the 3 next to it (there is a row of 4 on the wall). Strangely I have also lost power to my electric shower.
I've checked and rechecked the fuses and they all seem fine. Luckily I have a Home Care plan from British gas that covers existing electrics but they cant come till Monday next week.
I was wondering if there was anything I may be able to do to fix this problem,taking into account I do'nt have experience beyond rewiring a plug!
Any help would beappreciated.

Sponsored Links
Also,on what looks like the main fuse,there is a little button,should this be pushed in or remain out (under the button there is a smaller red 'reset' button),please excuse my ignorance;)

At the moment the buton is pushed in and my sockets and shower remain dead.

press the reset button. Can you post a picture of the "fuse" and the rest of the mains incoming? It sounds like something has tripped the RCD. I doubt it was your printer, to be honest, since it likely doesn't have an earth. And i also doubt you have overloaded that socket if all you have plugged in is computer things. I have about 10 computer appliances plugged into a double socket on 3 no. 4-way extensions (one piggybacked). ;)

This thing with the button, can you say what letters and numbers are on it, and its dimensions?

If you can lay your hands on a digital camer and post a pic of the consumer unit (fusebox) and the things around it, that will be a great help. If you can't post a pic, describe the things you can see (including colour, makers name, and cables connnecting them) from the meter onward; and how old/new/decrepit they look.

Looking on the bright side, socket circuits are usually well-protected with fuses and breakers, so it is unlikely you have done any serious damage that can't be reset. Just unplug whatever it was that you think caused the trouble. I think we can sort it once we understand what you've got.

edited to say, Crafty is a quicker typist than me! Why aren't you at work, Crafty?

Sponsored Links
i'd also be pretty peeved with BG is thats the service they offer to their homecare customers who have lost power to essential bits of the home. They will usually come out within 24h for heating problems. Why should electrics be any different? :evil:

edited to say, week off JohnD. well deserved as well.

Thanks for the quick response's!
Ok,I reset the what looks like the main fuse by pushing the red button(which pops the larger button out) and then pushing the larger button in again.No joy.
When I get home I'll take a couple of shots and post them.we live in a flat built in the mid 60's but I doubt any rewiring has been done since,so I guess the system is pretty old. An RCD is a circuit breaker type thing? we dont seem to have any other switchs on or around the Unit apart from a row of fuses and the 'main Fuse' with the buttons on it underneath,this by the way is the same size and is removable like the other fuses.
why would we lose just the row of sockets in the hall and the shower and not the other sockets in the house?
Thanks for your time.

ChrisHallett said:
why would we lose just the row of sockets in the hall and the shower and not the other sockets in the house?

I have a feeling the reason will be that the sockets and shower are protected by an RCD and the others aren't. This is quite common. the RCD gives additional protection against electric shock in the event of a fault where e.g. you might be naked and wet (as in the shower) or using a lawnmower of power tol that might cut through the cable, especially if you are outside and standing in a puddle of water - so at increased risk of electric shock.

You mentioned the fuses are removable, there are old Wylex and MEM consumer units (fuseboards) like that, a few of them an have an RCD incorporated, though this is not common. 63A is however a common rating for an RCD. Do these fuses have fusewire in that you have to replace; or cartridge fuses like a plug but bigger, or do thry have a switch or buttons on the front?

often, when alterations have been made to bring old installations up to current regs, strange things have been done. One of the current regs that weren't around when your flat was built is that sockets that could supply outdoor power must be RCD protected. Often, the shower is also wanged on the RCD too because it makes sense (wet bodies, water, lots of electric).

The way an RCD works is different to an MCB. An RCD monitors Live and Neutral current. On an RCD rated at 30mA, if the live and neutral are imbalanced by 30mA, the RCD trips.

This 30mA indicates leakage in the circuit somewhere, which could be someone getting an electric shock. But more likely than someone getting an electric shock is a fault on old wiring. Might be time to get the wiring inspected if it is very old, but we should be able to tell that from a picture.

JohnD beat me to it this time :evil: :LOL: ;)

crafty1289 said:
JohnD beat me to it this time :evil: :LOL: ;)

Hahahahahaha!
laughing-smiley-012.gif

This is an education.

The fuses are rectangular,3 inches long x 1 inch across(approx) they have removable wire that you replace when they blow.
If its the RCD ,can I reset it some how and would it be in the area of the Unit?

ChrisHallett said:
This is an education.

The fuses are rectangular,3 inches long x 1 inch across(approx) they have removable wire that you replace when they blow.
If its the RCD ,can I reset it some how and would it be in the area of the Unit?

If it's an RCD, you can reset it. some you have to set to "off" then "on"; some have a rotating knob, some have a switch, some have a lever that you push round like a clock-hand. I can't think of one that has a reset button. It might even be an RCBO (don't ask) though these are very rare in domestic installations (except mine). If you look up the make and other identifying features, someone will know.

I suppose there is a chance the RCD may have failed, so that having tripped it won't reset. It's failed safe, which is good. It may be that the fault that tripped it is still present, which will prevent it resetting (also good).

Come back with the pics and installation details and we should be able to work it out.

Does your BG contract include the provision and fitting of new parts? If the RCD is faulty, and you get a new one, that could save you a bit of money.

thanks very much for your replies,I'll get back to you when I get home from work and take some snaps.

You don't specify whether your printer is inkjet or laser; whilst it's rare for inkjets to draw over 1A at a time, lasers can use 3-4A and it's important to check that you don't overload an extension block (Three computers and a laser nearly did for me)

Chrishallet said:
I plugged a new printer into a 6 socket extension block that already had 5 sockets filled.

If you have other computer equipment plugged into the 6 way outlet the RCD may have tripped because of high earth leakage.

Computer equipment is known to have high earth leakage and if your 6 way power block was in an Office it would need to be fused at no more than 7amps for this reason. (BS-6396)

Thanks for that advice pensdown so where can I get a 7a fuse then???

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back