Installing a new oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

took delivery of a new integrated single oven this weekend as our old one gave up the ghost.

When I removed the old oven there is a combined terminal outlet box with a plug socket also, the oven was plugged into the socket and the induction hob is wired through the terminal outlet.

Wanting to do things properly I wanted to consult you guys before I go ahead...

The new oven is 230-240v 32amp, this is fine as the supply is on a 32amp breaker, but I obviously can' wire up the 6mm flex to a plug (the old oven was on a much thinner flex).

Looking in B&Q I can only find what I have at the moment - a terminal outlet combined with socket or single 45a terminal outlet boxes - do double boxes with two terminal outlets exist? one for the hob and one for the oven.

The only other thought I had was if I have the supply cable going into a single box, which can take up to 10mm cable, so at a push I can feed the hob from the first box, taking some cable from the input terminals of the first box to a second box for the oven??

really appreciate your advice guys! i'm not a botcher and just want to know the best way to do this!

the hob is 50hz 6.5kw and the oven is 50hz 3.5kw

Sponsored Links
please post a picture of what you already have as I've never seen a cooker outlet with a socket built in...

cooker switches yes, but not outlet plates...

I will convert into amps for you.
Induction hob 28.26A but because of the boost even with two rings still around 26A
Oven 15.21A too big for a 13A Plug.
We normally allow diversity but because of the boost with induction hobs this is very much reduced and I would consider a supply of 41.3A to cover both so we can only jump in sizes available so likely a 40A MCB or RBCO will do the job.

This means you are not changing like for like and you will need a completion certificate under Part P. So either you pay the council or you pay a registered electrician.

Either way you need to contact them first and the electrician is likely the cheapest option.

So as to the rest you ask you may as well ask the electrician who does the job. Do tell him about the boost on the induction hob not all are aware of there being very little diversity.

You should provide him with all the paperwork since induction hobs have not been around for long you should have installation instructions and both an installation or minor works cert and completion cert this will tell him the installation method and from that he will know if he can take extra current from existing cable or if it needs new. He will also measure the ELI etc. Which if you did the work and paid the council to test you could end up doing it all again if ELI is not good enough etc.

There is loads on Part P on here can't see point in repeating.

Sorry! i mean to say our hob is halogen not induction.

i've been reading the manual that came with the oven and it states the minimum flex size at 2.5mm - which I dont understand - I would have thought this too thin... as I have wired 6mm to the back of the oven and put the oven in place - just now asking the best way to wire it up.

I was under the impression this was a relatively simple task? can the oven and the hob not both run off the 32a MCB in place already?

Sponsored Links
as requested these are the photos of what is underneath the oven - the supply comes from the 32a breaker on the consumer unit, through a 45a DP located on the wall to the right of the hob, and then comes into the double unit on the floor beneath the oven, whenre the old oven was plugged in and the hob wired up to the cooker connection unit....

what's the best way for me to update this to suit our new oven and hob combo?

photo.jpg

photo1-1.jpg

[/img]

you simply take the socket off and replace it with another single connection unit...

can you see what size it says on the cable ( should be embossed every 10 inches or so.. )?

I concur with the poster above, if your washing machine or dishwasher etc breaks, or a pipe burst, do you really want that thing sitting in the puddle you'd be standing in?

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice - I agree - yesterday was the first time i've had a look at the electrics under the oven since we bought the place - and I thought to myself i'd better get that off the floor

the cable is embossed with 2 x 6 + 2.5 sq mm - so that means this is 6mm as well.

So absolutlely, defintately, 100% - I can replace that singe socket with another cooker connection unit?

having the supply feed into the first connection unit, and then have the length of cable going from the supply terminals to the second one and I won't be overloading anything taking into account the details of the hob and the oven I posted at the top?

what size was the old oven?

if it's about the same, and you had no problems with nuisance tripping before then you will probably be ok..

the breaker is the right size for the cable, but if the increased load from the oven causes problems with the breaker tripping then you'll have to get the cable and breaker upgraded..

Thanks for all your help guys - wired up this morning and seems to be working fine!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back