Weight of water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry if this info is available elsewhere...but i cant find it.
How much does water weigh?

How much a 50 gallon tank of water weighs

I need this info to make sure i dont bring the ceiling down if i install a 50 gallon tank!

Sponsored Links
isnt it as simple as a litre of water weights a killo 4.5 litres ish to a gallon

so 50 times 4.5 kilos=225 kilos i think :(

1 ltr water = 1 kg

And since I don't know how many litres 1 gallon is, the rest i up to you :LOL:

(And I'm sure it didn't take me 2 minuter to type this (see big-all just 2 minutes ahead of me) ;) ;) ;)

Or see here for exact litres (227,3 litres in 50 gallons)

jonblair said:
I need this info to make sure i dont bring the ceiling down if i install a 50 gallon tank!

You need to spread the load over 3 joists with marine ply or similar :D

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much. With the info available, i can work out the weight of 50 gallon tank. i am rusty, did not realise 1 litre weighs 1 kilo.

The gallon contains 10pounds avoirdupois of distilled water :LOL: :LOL:

Thank goodness someone uses real measurements dia.

It also weighs 63 lb/cu ft if you have only a tape measure. A little multiplying exercise will also reveal 50 gallons weighs nearly a quarter of a ton!!!!

Only about the same as a couple of plumbers, and they usually stand on just the one joist while walking across the loft.

Broken Welsh coal averages 1 ton to 40 cubic feet.
I didn't want to be left out on the numbers....

average man weighs about 75 Kg, you could possition it over a supporting wall (if there is one) to avoid the cielling cracking.

Plumbers aren't average men. I can remember 75kg, just. Double that now with toolbox or a boiler under one arm.

Thanks to all who replied. One other conundrum, the ceiling joists are not your usual 4 by 2!. The tank is to be positioned in the apex of a chalet bungalow, where the ceiling joists are 2 by 2 inches, spaced 18 inches apart. In the section where the tank is proposed, the length of joists is 4 feet.
sorry to quote the figs in inches and feet...but i never decimalised.

In that case they will have one eighth the stiffness/strength of 4 x 2's so are completely inadequate for your purpose. Replacing them will I'm sure be difficult, but is probably the only way to go. Screwing another 2" on will not work!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back