Increasing cold water storage in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
Intending to fit a pump assisted Mixer shower valve, upon reading the MIs
I see that my cold water tank in the loft needs to be at least 50 gallons capacity, Upon inspection I only have a 25 Gallon :cry:
I have limited space thanks to modern day trusses! And cannot get a 50 gall in there, I understand however that i could introduce a second 25 gall (slave ) tank.
Is there anyone who could assist me in understanding the layout of this task, what connections are needed between the two tanks, heights of connections etc, .
I,ve picked up snippets of info in the search engine but cant find a post with a full description of what to do and what go,s where!

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Plumbing-wise you simply connect them such that the water goes into one tank and out of the other, with a link pipe near the bottom between them. Put the overflow on the "first" one!

Connect with 28mm.

Cold feed to hot cylinder should be 25mm above cold distribution pipe and link pipe.

And if they're not the same height the top edge of the two tanks should be level.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply guys,
Am i right in thinking the new tank will take the mains feed & ballcock and the second (existing) will have the draw offs (allready in place).

I then join the two at low level with 28mm pipework.

How do i control the level of water in the second tank, do i fit a second link pipe sending water back into the new tank & ballcock?

Thanks again

How do i control the level of water in the second tank, do i fit a second link pipe sending water back into the new tank & ballcock?

You don't as it will be the same level as the first tank! ;)

Dont forget the overflow though. :D

cheers bacho
its been bugging me for days, could,nt get this image out of my head of the second tank filling up and overflowing because of no ballcock, of course... :oops: water level will rise in line with first tank, cant believe what a **** i am

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back