Its gonna upset people

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The point is, Part P Quoters

I am not part p registered, AND i do not intend to get part P, for the simple reason is i pay enough sodden money out as it is, without paying some duff organisation of pen pushers £500 to tell me im able to carry out work on some poor buggers CU when i already know i can...
AND ALSO THE POOR DUFFER TO PAY

But peeps thats not my point, i can see the reasoning behind the (ORG)
even though most of it is violently red tape, to say least...

my gripe is the feckin few certain individuals on this site who are constantly spouting PART P as if it was the 2nd tablet moses brought down from the hill.....listen you chunks... we all know there is going to be cowboys out there, always has been and (POST PART P) always will be...the regs are in place as a guide, not the set in stone bloody rule, like some of you keep reminding us..

And do us a favour, you idiots, will you stop reminding the general public about this part P lark, because the more you DO... THE MORE YOU PAY...THE MORE THEY PAY...AND THE MORE RICH THE PENPUSHERS AND COUNCILS GET....
YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE....

PS... please give me constructive or negative critisism, but no G*******S like i have just blasphemied the part p revelations open your gobs, coz i have had enough...

Another PS...the £500 you probably pay, would more than likely get passed on to mr & mrs suburbia......

Sponsored Links
Part P is simply too little, too late and too damned much.

£500! What costs £500??

So if I pay a spark to fit a CU in my garage, will I also have to pay extra for this Part P business, as well as paying him?
:confused:

Sponsored Links
Deluks said:
£500! What costs £500??

So if I pay a spark to fit a CU in my garage, will I also have to pay extra for this Part P business, as well as paying him?
:confused:

no. the spark has to pay X amount each you to be part P registered, which means he can sign off the work to say it complies with the regs. because of this, sparks wil charge more for jobs due to the extra work reqd. if the spark is NOT part P registered, or a DIYer, then you have to get BC to come and check the work and sign it off to say it complies.

I'm hardly likely to have a problem with DIYers not notifying LABC, am I?

The only reason I mention Part P is because I think that if we're giving people advice then I think that should be part of it - what they choose to do is up to them.

why do electricians who have been in the game for years and obviously know there stuff now have to be part p registered,
i can see that some individuals think they can take on electrical work diy or not and they obviously haven't a clue,
i have a good knolage of electrical installation work (my dad worked for the LEB all his life) but i make a point of getting all the my facts straight before doing any work of this kind,
i find this site very helpful thanks to the people on here and i don't mind being told about part p after all if we are going to break the rules we need to know that we are.

And if I'm not part P registered and I get BC in to inspect and they don't like it for some reason (safety aside) and I ain't going to change it, other than not getting the BSxxxx certificate from them, then what ?

scoobydooby said:
YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE....

Yes, and they would've got away with it if it hadn't been for those pesky diyers..... Yikes!!

johnad said:
why do electricians who have been in the game for years and obviously know there stuff now have to be part p registered
So that the big ones can put the little ones out of business.

i don't mind being told about part p after all if we are going to break the rules we need to know that we are.
My thoughts exactly. There are still people who don't know about it, or understand what it is.

bathjobby said:
And if I'm not part P registered and I get BC in to inspect and they don't like it for some reason (safety aside) and I ain't going to change it, other than not getting the BSxxxx certificate from them, then what ?
Don't forget that any work you do doesn't have to only comply with Part P. It can also come under some or all of:

Structure (Part A)
Fire safety (Part B)
Resistance to the passage of sound (Part E)
Ventilation (Part F)
Conservation of fuel and power (Part L)
Access to and use of buildings (Part M)

and it must comply with all of the regulations that do apply. And if it doesn't, and you don't fix it, they can serve an enforcement notice. BTW - BC do not issue BC7671 certificates.

scoobydooby said:
And do us a favour, you idiots, will you stop reminding the general public about this part P lark
Well - I've outlined why I think we should. There must come a time to stop, however - I'm sure that people asking advice on the Building Forum don't get told all the time about the Building Regs - it's taken as read that they should know. I don't think we're at that point with Part P yet - maybe when it's a year old??

Please also do not forget that there is a lot of work that is NOT notifiable.
PART P EXCLUDES:

Replacement work anywhere (except CU), limited to replacing one cable for a single circuit where damaged by fire, impact or rodent.

installing main or supplementary earth bonding

Any electrical work not in special locations or installs (baths/showers, swimming pools, saunas, floor or ceiling heating, garden power/lighting, ELV lighting other than pre-assembled CE marked kits).

Garden lighting/power is defined by a bloke I spoke to at the ODPM as anything not actually attached to the main dwelling. So, eg, if it is a floodlight or s/outlet attached to the house wall, that is not notifiable, but if that flood is on a garage or the socket is at the bottom of the garden, then it is covered by PP.

Certain work may well not be notifiable.

But it is not excluded from Part P - Part P covers all electrical work, and it defines what is notifiable and what isn't. It all has to comply with the Building Regs, including all the other Parts A/B/E/F/L/M etc

Though unless they have changed it, if you read the public guidance leaflet issued by the ODPM you would get the definite impression that a lot more is allowed than that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back