plastering over 2 day old plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I plastered the artex ceiling in my bathroom on Friday, and as it was my first time plastering it was a messy affair but I was reasonably pleased that I got it all on. Unfortunately the finish wasnt great and I want to now put on another coat. As it is now Sunday, if I put on another coat do I need to put on a coat of pva or can I just skim straight over it? Any help would be massively appreciated!!!
[/list]

Sponsored Links
You will definitely need to seal it as by now the plaster you applied will have plenty of suction.

Read here.

i've just rollered on 1/1 pva mix, can i skim it today or do i need to wait til tommorow?
Thanks for the prompt reply btw!

oh and the pink descriptions for different plaster stages would be great! I'm colourblind though :(

Sponsored Links
let the pva dry and then apply another coat, you need to be skimming when the pva is tacky.

Do a two coat application, life will be easier, apply one coat, flatten up, clean up and make another mix, put that coat ontop of the first coat, the second coat will help you to be able to fill out any low spots you missed with the first coat.

oh and the pink descriptions for different plaster stages would be great! I'm colourblind though :(
The important thing to remember is that the plaster coats will only really "bind" with subsequent coats whilst in the early stages.

Once the muck has fully hardened, even though it may not be fully dry, you will still end up with separate layers of skim.

Thankfully pva helps with suction and key.

We now use "blue-grit" where possible as it is amazing gear. Rather expensive compared to pva but provides an excellent key but also controls the suction beautifully.

Pink stages of Multi Finish:

Freshly mixed/applied,,,, evenly coloured overall,, light pink.
Beginning to set/right through to completely set,,,, very dark pink patches/browny red,,,,,,,, ish.
When dried out completely,,,, very pale pink, streaky looking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back