front door

Sponsored Links
Try not to duplicate your posts to bump them to the top, it isn't necessary and will annoy people. Most have been at work since you posted.

Edited to say: I had assumed in the answer below that you meant draughts were coming in round the frame, so I talked about expanding foam as it can also be used to fix a frame in place. If you meant the door is draughty as not a close fit in the frame, then use self-adhesive synthetic rubber or furry pile strips. We buy them in rolls. Clean the frame thoroughly before applying as the glue will not stick to dirt or grease. If you are in a cold and windy area and the door is exposed, you can put a heavy curtain in front of it at night.

I'd be using one of those self-hardening insulating plastic foams that comes in an aerosol can.

a couple of points:

some people hate it because it sticks to everything it touches, and expands much more than shaving foam to bulge out of the gap you've put it in.

I find that when I try to follow my own rules, it's OK.

1) Put masking tape firmly each side of the gap you're filling. You can even use refrigerator cling-film to cover a larger area. But stick it down well at the edges or the expanding foam will lift it.

2) put lot of newspaper on the ground where you are working, and beyond, because you will get it on your shoes and tread it onto the floor.

3) Have several pairs of disposable gloves handy. Once you get it on your gloves it is so sticky you will have to take them off and throw them away.

4) Cover all skin, and especially hair, with clothes that you won't mind throwing away afterwards.

5) And shoes.

6) and spectacles

7) get a little plant sprayer and spray into the gaps you want to fill. As well as washing away dirt and dust (which the foam won't stick to) the moisture will help it expand and set.

8) have a gun handy to kill all pets and small children who may otherwise touch the sticky foam.

9) spray the exposed foam with water after applying to help it set quickly.

10) wait until it has fully set before cutting away the surplus hardened foam with an old knife.

11 etc ) Use the plastic nozzle that comes with the can to place it deep within the cavity. Read the instructions several times, including what to do with the can and nozzle between applications. Make sure there are no electrical cables or movable objects that the foam can touch. Buy a can of remover at the same time as you buy the foam to help remove all the unwanted foam from your skin and carpets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back