Front & Back Door - Blind/Curtain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have a relatively small, two bedroom house - just me and my girlfriend there so no need for anything bigger at present.

I have noticed, now that it is getting colder, that downstairs is significantly colder than upstairs. I know heat rises and that this is normal, but it is really cold downstairs. I think the cold air is coming from the front & back doors, as they aren't actually that far apart. The hallway leads straight into the kitchen - and the front and back door are directly facing each other and around 5-7 metres apart. They are UPVC Doors, both with a window in - which I also think let a fair amount of cold air in.

I have seen online that you can get Thermal Blinds - I was thinking of getting one over each of the front and back door, which we can pull down at night once we are in the house to stop the cold air from coming in. Just wanted to check if anybody knows whether this will work, and if not - any other suggestions?

I am going to balance the radiators too to try and get some more heat downstairs, but if cold air is coming straight back in then it seems like a waste of time (and money).

I have attached the floorplan of the downstairs of my house so you can see how the doors face each other at the front and back of the house.

Thanks in advance...

Attachments

• Plan 1.jpg
    Plan 1.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 239
Sponsored Links
Your doors shut not let any drafts in, are they fitted correctly? Windows in doors? do you mean glazed, should be double glazed and sealed.Thermal blinds are used to keep heatout [conservatory] not in. A heavy curtain on each door would be more effective though should not be required, have you checked loft insulation levels? Do you not have a door on the kitchen?

UPVC doors are supposed to be sealed quite well?

I would try hanging a blanket as a curtain over each door as an experiment.
When I was a kid we had a big set of double curtains floor to ceiling over the front door. - you can get curtain track mounted on a door as well.

Closing a few internal doors would help.
Get something that generates a small amount of smoke to see where the draft is.

Your doors shut not let any drafts in, are they fitted correctly? Windows in doors? do you mean glazed, should be double glazed and sealed.Thermal blinds are used to keep heatout [conservatory] not in. A heavy curtain on each door would be more effective though should not be required, have you checked loft insulation levels? Do you not have a door on the kitchen?

Sorry, yes I meant Glazed - I can never remember the correct terminology! However, yes the doors close properly and securely and there isn't any obvious draught that I can feel - it is just generally cold. As you can see on the floor plan, the stairs go around the corner, and as you walk down the stairs you can feel it getting colder.

UPVC doors are supposed to be sealed quite well?

I would try hanging a blanket as a curtain over each door as an experiment.
When I was a kid we had a big set of double curtains floor to ceiling over the front door. - you can get curtain track mounted on a door as well.

Closing a few internal doors would help.
Get something that generates a small amount of smoke to see where the draft is.

I would prefer a big curtain, but it would prevent the door opening fully

Sponsored Links
Sorry, yes I meant Glazed - I can never remember the correct terminology! However, yes the doors close properly and securely and there isn't any obvious draught that I can feel - it is just generally cold. As you can see on the floor plan, the stairs go around the corner, and as you walk down the stairs you can feel it getting colder.

I would prefer a big curtain, but it would prevent the door opening fully
You can get hinge curtain pole for door curtains.Allow door to open fully.

Portière rods.

Hinged, and lifts the curtain away from the floor as the door opens.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...ortiere+rod+.TRS0&_nkw=portiere+rod+&_sacat=0

A rising portière is a simple but effective mechanism. It is fastened to both the door and to the wall near the hinge, such that the rail raises itself when the door is opened. This allows the curtain to be long enough to seal against the floor and contain draughts, but not drag on the floor or catch under the door when the door is opened.[2] Rising portières come in different configurations to seal the curtain against different door surrounds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portière

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back