Mummys lights have gone out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mums downstairs light have all but one gone out. The living room light still works but the kitchen, dining and extension room light are all off. Everything else upstairs and down works. Where do you think the problem would be? or where should i begin to look?

Cheers

Dan

Sponsored Links
Have you check the fuse box?

Has anything else stopped working?

It possible the one light is connected to a different circuit so check all fuse/trip switches.

It is very likely a loose connection in a ceiling rose.

Lights are connected in a daisy chain; the supply goes to one rose, then continues on to the next.

If you can work out which route the circuit takes, the bad connection is most likely either in the last ceiling rose that works, or in the first one that doesn't

Have you got a multimeter? If not, splash out £10 in your local hardware store.

Do not take out any wires from any lighting terminal unless you have made a careful sketch of which wire goes where - not just "red here, black here - but which of them. there will usually be at least three cables in each rose, and each cable will contain at least three wires. Mark the cable sheath and individual cores if necessary.

Do not connect or disconnect anything from more than one fitting at a time, until you have proved that your first fitting is correct.

An alternative cause is cable damage, e.g. from mice gnawing them or someone driving a screw or nail into a floor or wall.

Turn of the circuit before starting work, and check that ther terminals are dead before touching them with anything except a multimeter. A neon screwdriver will not do.

Look at the lighting circuit info and diagrams at the top of the "Electrics - UK" forum "read first"

Sponsored Links
No the fault wasnt my reckless doing, had a look under the floorboard above the light thats on, the red wires were just twisted together and taped up, the other ones were just in a connecter block, so i put the red ones in a connector block and HEY PRESTO it works,
Oh and regarding my previous post i got some normal two way pull down cords instead of a dimmer and fitted them, wicked, they work and all, I'm getting the hang of this electric malarky, next job i'm gunna have a go at putting all my circuits into a new cunsumer unit (old one has fuzes) I'm sure i'll be back with more questions.

Cheeriooo

You will find it very useful to get hold of "The Which book of wiring and lighting" - it is available at your local library wnd will give you a good start into DIY electrics.

A new CU is controlled by Building Regulations and is not something you should be doing until you know a lot more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back