Cast Iron bath removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any tips for breaking the bath up in to easily removable pieces.
It is in a second floor flat. Only access via 4 'short' flights of stairs, not a lot of room.
Is a hefty lump hammer the best tool or is there something else?
I tried to break one up many years ago but I recall it wasn't as easy as it sounded.

Sponsored Links
Goggles, gloves, overalls, boots - the flying shards of iron are glass-sharp and will easily stick in your skin or eye.

Warp the bath in a tarp or thick cloth to catch most of the flying shards.

Put on your ear defenders (the bath will ring like a large bell)

Hit it along the bottom and near the plug hole and break it into manageable pieces. The rim is the strongest part.

Wrap the bits in newspaper or something to carry out to the skip, they are still razor sharp and will easily gash your leg or arm deeply, even through clothes.

JohnD has it about covered, but one more tip - I'm often working in a team of two when removing a cast iron bath and prepping a room for a refurb, and we always carry out even the large sharp broken bits individually, i.e. one piece per person.

The risk is particularly high when going downstairs - the scope for tripping and ending up underneath a knife-sharp section of steel is too great if two people are carrying.

Also, those rubbery "grippa gloves" are useful when carrying the bits.

Sponsored Links
hammer stale
:confused: :confused:

Carrying them is a risk to walls etc if you have to turn on stairs.
I 've broken the last few. A normal 20 ox hamme will do if you switng it. Hit the same spot even on the rim several times and a crack will start and off you go.
As above, goggles etc vital

Turtle :confused: .......got a few upstairs when new like that ;) ...then the others go off to Tea....apprentice initiation :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back