HELP - we have central heating with a mind of its own!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I wonder if somone might help me...

I have a Gloworm Ultimate 50 boiler, which is not a combi type but is with atraditional hot water tank,a nd pressure cylinder that requires occasional top up.

It was last serviced about 18 months ago. it was apparently installed in 2003, so not old.

The boiler is in the attic.

The problem is the hot water seems to come on when you ask it to but the central heating does not. We also noticed a month or two ago the central heating came on at the same time as the hot water even though it was set to off on the control panel.

Today when I put the central heating "on" it did not come on, then I put the hot water on at the same time it did come on - then turned itself off after about 2 hours. it then came on again later with the hot water again but then turned itself off after 40 minutes.

I don't think the main thermostat affected this (but could be wrong?)as all the radiators were set to high on their own thermotstas.

I checked the pressure tank in the attic next to the boiler and topped this up to the required level a week ago, but it had gone down a bit today and I topped it up again - not made any difference though.

I noticed there is a valve near the hot water tank in the airing cupboard, a few weeks ago this was making a weird regular clicking sound - but i have not heard this recently.

I would also appreciate advice about who to trust to fix it - what company, a big or small one, and if it is a good idea to get a service plan - if so with who?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
It sounds as you have a failed motor valve.

If you are in or near Norwich then see if Gas4you who posts here con help you. Contact him via his profile.

Otherwise I would suggest that you look for a small CORGi registered firm.

In London we would charge a fixed price of £84 + £60 if it was reasonable straightforward. I doubt it would be much cheaper in Norfolk.

Tony

Thanks Tony - is that the valve which has 3 input pipes and sits near the hot water tank or is it inside the actual boiler?

Agile said:
If you are in or near Norwich then see if Gas4you who posts here con help you. Contact him via his profile.

Thats harsh Agile

I dont think he will "con" him LMAO

Sponsored Links
I'm goin to take my pre-mixed Bacardi & coke into the loft along with this weeks NUTS magazine and last it out for an hour and a half! Thats how you do it aint it corgi??? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

gas4you said:
I'm goin to take my pre-mixed Bacardi & coke into the loft along with this weeks NUTS magazine and last it out for an hour and a half! Thats how you do it aint it corgi??? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Shyte

did you watch me on House Of horrors???

dammit

Liked your trendy glasses. made you look intelligent :LOL:

£450 for a ballvalve! Drinks on you corgi :LOL:

gas4you said:
Liked your trendy glasses. made you look intelligent :LOL:

£450 for a ballvalve! Drinks on you corgi :LOL:

450!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for a diaphragm mebbe

sheesh

I had one of the faults on last nights program, condensing pipe had been knocked out by old dear putting clothes under boiler after I had told her it musn't be used as an airing cupboard upon commissioning. In my naivity I added an extra pipe clip to condensate drain and fixed foc and it was a Sunday morning! No wonder I can only afford 1 bottle of Bacardi a night :LOL:

gas4you said:
I had one of the faults on last nights program, condensing pipe had been knocked out by old dear putting clothes under boiler after I had told her it musn't be used as an airing cupboard upon commissioning. In my naivity I added an extra pipe clip to condensate drain and fixed foc and it was a Sunday morning! No wonder I can only afford 1 bottle of Bacardi a night :LOL:

your a toff gas

:)

Yeh, but got another boiler swap through recommendation. Thats what it is all about aint it ;)

gas4you said:
Yeh, but got another boiler swap through recommendation. Thats what it is all about aint it ;)

YAY

well hurry up and get BIG then you can employ me :):)

I wish I could! My problem is I'm too busy for a one man band, installations during day and servicing weekends and evenings, but what happens in summer when it goes quiet??

I would like to employ a good installer/ repair guy for my gas and concentrate on my solar. Problem is having the balls to take the risk!!

Anyway corgi you don't fit Vaillants :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back