Semi Detached loft space problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Semi Detached loft space, next door has a tumble dryer in there space... obv not extracting as it should.... and the smell of damp in adjointing loft space is really bad when they have it running....

Need to know best way to seal up the spaces.... I think its comong in through the top of the wall where the roof and (Firewall area) meet. Small gaps seem to be present between that area and the felt meet.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
MasterAbacus said:
Hi all,

Semi Detached loft space, next door has a tumble dryer in there space... obv not extracting as it should.... and the smell of damp in adjointing loft space is really bad when they have it running....
Are you saying they are running a tumble dryer in the loft and not venting out? Their roof rafters must be full of condensation!

Ys thats what im saying... it does sound bad doesnt it....

Im so glad its my friends house and not mine.....

I think it's best to give the BCO a ring and see what they suggest as it may do long term damaged to the roof

Sponsored Links
Dont need to ring BCO, just need to stop the smell / dmp coming through...
If id of wanted BCO involved i would of gone that route... instead i come here... but as per usual, some jumped up trading standards wannabe sticks thier ore in...

Couldnt give a monkeys abt the onset of damage in the future.... my friend will only e at the house another year or so...

So if anyone has any ideas (That are ideas to fix the problem as requested)... not directory enquires to ring someone who can tell me what to do, etc etc....

Decent answers PLEASE....

stuff fibreglass loft insulation in the gaps. Cheap and easy, and can easily be removed when their roof collapses from rot. It will block the airflow.

You friends house will need extra eaves ventilation to make up for the lack of crossflow.

JohnD said:
stuff fibreglass loft insulation in the gaps. Cheap and easy, and can easily be removed when their roof collapses from rot. It will block the airflow.

You friends house will need extra eaves ventilation to make up for the lack of crossflow.

THANK YOU... for the informative reply.... as always expected esp frm JohnD....

Thats the kind of thing i was after....

MasterAbacus said:
Dont need to ring BCO, just need to stop the smell / dmp coming through...
If id of wanted BCO involved i would of gone that route... instead i come here... but as per usual, some jumped up trading standards wannabe sticks thier ore in...
Calm down calm down !!!!!

The problem is, it's maybe against the building regs hence the BCO and next door roof could be damaged in the long term,

Couldnt give a monkeys abt the onset of damage in the future.... my friend will only e at the house another year or so...
What a terrible attitude, so you're saying I'm alright jack, sod the next owner to sort it out in the future. They may not even know the damaged they are doing to their roof and may even appreciated you telling them the long term problem.

If you don't like the answer then ignore it and no need to be rude about it, you appear to have an attitude problem. I see you already posted in the general discussion and that just to show how weak you are.

JohnD said:

The trouble is John, I think the neighbour should be told about their problem, blocking the air-flow is going to accelerate their problem further as they may not know what damaged or doing is wrong.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back