Shower Tray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm about to fit a quadrant shower tray in the corner of my newly-plastered bathroom.

I've just offered the tray up to the wall and it seems on of the walls bows out near the corner so there is around a 1cm gap between the tray and the wall.

I want to tile the enclosure, what's the best way of making it waterproof with this gap?

Here's a picture in case my words didn't make sense, it's a little exaggerated, but you get the idea:

hgljhgljg.jpg

Thanks in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
First off, I'd get the plasterer back.
Failing that I'd chip away at the wall so that the tray will fit into the wall a little so there's no gap.
You'll notice the wall problem big time when it's tiled so I would try and get the wall flat before tiling.
Don't forget to tank the walls before tiling too.

Thanks gcol.

I was well-prepared for tanking the walls before tiling.... then I got my adhesive, which is this stuff:
antimouldgrout.jpg

And the directions were to PVA 5:1 with water before tiling. It doesn't mention tanking per-se.

The stuff says it's water repellent and is especially for tiling around baths and showers.

Taken form the Unibond site:

· Shower & Bathroom - key specific usage area
· 5 Star Level Waterproof - showers and wetrooms
· Extra Strong - Non Slip Grip
· 20 Year Guarantee
· Actively repels water symbol added water repellent
· Less moisture for mould growth
· Superior Mould Resistance
· Dries: ICE White
· Sizes: Large and Trade

Reckon that'll be OK?

I know I probably should have got powder mix but this looked the ticket.

I'll try cutting the plasterboard so that tray fits 'underneath' it on one wall and offer some tiles up to it to see how they fit.

Like I said, that picture is a bit of an exaggeration so I'll see how the tiles go on.

Cheers.

It's not essential to use powdered adhesive, but it does give a better bond, however it is more difficult to use and is messy.
Personally, the only Unibond product I use is PVA (but not in shower areas), I'm of the opinion that their products are not very good.
That adhesive/grout is new out and I can't vouch for it's performance..... what I can say is that I won't entertain using a product that is an adhesive and grout all in one - any I've seen are horrible to use and give poor grouting results.
I would recommend taking the stuff back, tank the shower and tile using Bal White Star (premixed) and grout using a good brand of powdered grout.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that gcol, I'll take a trip to my local builder's merchants to see what they've got.

Also, while I'm here, one more question :)

This is a picture of the underside of my shower tray. I've fitted concrete trays before which were easy, but this one is on metal adjustable legs. What's the best way to secure it to the floor/walls?

Cheers!

DSC00073.jpg

Hi

I had a similar problem although my gap wasnt as big.

I basically built a straight layer ontop of the wall it looks very tidy, like this..

Just basically built a frame and boarded it up with Aquapanel.

You need to bear in mind the enclosure frame also, this has to line up with the tray remember. The enclosure i bought allowed 20mm on each side for untrue walls.

Either way good luck!

Ps im not a pro just like to give my 2pence

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back