1970's Wylex Standard - Part P and a story!!

This is one case where COMMON SENSE clearly states that fitting a 6 amp MCB will make the system safer for the occupier of the house.

So provided the work is done in a safe way to protect the person doing it then I personally would go ahead and change it.

The law ( as in part P ) may object but since Part P was designed to make things safer then it should be interpreted with over all safety as the deciding issue in any conflict between its wording and its aims.

Sponsored Links
In reality, I think even the nice chaps at BC would have chuckle if a building notice was submitted for simply changing rewireable's to MCB's.

rjb..what's the general condition of the installation? Are the cables PVC or are they older?

I understand the re-wire was late 1970's. From my brief visit visually the cables looked OK (PVC). I haven't done any insulation resistance test as I just wanted Beryl to be safe as quick as possible that evening.

I would imagine though at that age the bonding would need to be upgraded for starters.

If it's PVC I would just change the breakers and be done with it.

If you get caught tell them we all said it was OK :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Id suggest a PIR, as you are changing the characteristics of the supply.
If you change it and things start blowing you have opened a can of worms for yourself. Going ahead on the understanding that you looked at the cable and it seemed okay is a bit amateurish.

Not sure of your level of experience, but I'd check the Zs first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back