power in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The previous occupant of my house (1990s-built) installed power in the loft to run a few lights and a double socket for a TV signal booster plus external security lights.
The power source is a spur from an immersion heater switch in the airing cupboard, via a fused connection unit in the airing cupboard; there's then another FCU in the loft before the cable runs to the light switch and power socket. All cable is standard 2.5mm.
The immersion heater is run from a 16A circuit; there's nothing else connected to this circuit. The immersion heater is rarely used.

It all looks like a decent job to me, but I just want to check the wisdom/safety of taking the spur from the immersion heater circuit - is this okay, or should it be a spur from an ordinary ring circuit (which my fusebox tells me is rated at 32A)?
Also, what fuses should I put in the FCUs?

IanJ.

Sponsored Links
the loft should be on the LOAD side of the cupboard fcu

fuse size depends on what you are going to connect to fcu

Thanks breezer

Yep, just checked - loft is on the load side of the cupboard FCU.
So is it okay for the spur to come from the immersion heater switch?

I'll be running a TV signal booster and a couple of 500W external security lights wired via a junction box into a standard 3-pin plug, into the existing socket.
Plus 4x60W lightbulbs when I'm up there (don't like dark spaces!)

i would opt for flourescent lights, brighter and more even light

Sponsored Links
Fair enough ... but what about the fuse rating for the FCU serving 4x60W bulbs, a TV signal booster and a couple of 500W security lights?

yeah a 5A for the security lights

and a seperate 3A for everything else

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back