Fit a switched socket in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How can I fit (myself) a socket in the loft as an extension from a spur in the airing cupboard beneath the loft. There is a power switch for the shower pump available and an unused immersion heater point... I only need the socket to power a TV aerial booster.

Sponsored Links
Personally i'd use the unused immersion point, change the face place for a switched fuse connection and since that aerial unit is only going to be served I'd put a 5 or 3 amp fuse in it.

Sure, no worries but you cant add a spur to a spur. You've two options:

• Is the switch for the shower fused? That is called a fused connection unit. If that is what you have got connect the circuit for the TV spur to the load side of the shower FCU.
    or
    You can use the immersion circuit assuming u do not now have an immersion heater. Extend the circuit into the loft with 2.5mm cable and put a socket on the end.

Job done.

Personally i'd use the unused immersion point, change the face place for a switched fuse connection and since that aerial unit is only going to be served I'd put a 5 or 3 amp fuse in it.

Thanks, the immersion is still connect but never used I assume I can disconnect it and then follow your advice
Thanks again

Sponsored Links
and then what happens when your boiler breaks and you need to heat water for baths etc?

Sure, no worries but you cant add a spur to a spur. You've two options:

• Is the switch for the shower fused? That is called a fused connection unit. If that is what you have got connect the circuit for the TV spur to the load side of the shower FCU.
    or
    You can use the immersion circuit assuming u do not now have an immersion heater. Extend the circuit into the loft with 2.5mm cable and put a socket on the end.

Job done.

Thanks, both queries answered very grateful.

That is tempting fate - disconnect your immersion & you boiler will break down immediately.

Possibly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back