FITTING A FUSED SPUR IN A LOFT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am awaiting completion of a New Build house and have paid to have extra TV points in the house.
I was expecting these additional points to be connected to a mains powered booster within the loft but have now learned that there will just be loose cable ends in the loft and that I have to fit a booster and aerial etc.
My plan was to fit a loft distribution box which combines Satellite, UHF, DAB and to distribute them around the house. Only problem now is that it appears there is no mains socket in the loft.
Can anyone please advise on the legality of fitting a fused spur to the existing upstairs lighting circuit purely for the connection of a loft box.
I have been told that it is legal to fit a spur to the lighting circuit for an aerial booster but I am a little dubious about the information.
Can anyone confirm whether this practice is legal and whether under new Part P regulations I am allowed to carry out this work myself.
I am an electrical engineer but work on aircraft as opposed to domestic installations.
Thanks,
Mark

Sponsored Links
It is OK but fit a switched fused spur rather than a socket, so no-one can plug a drill or something else that could take out the mcb/fuse

Perfectly ok, and perfectly legal for you to do yourself :) (as long as you don't do it in a dangerous way)

Sponsored Links
you can use one of the slx range, some of the amps allow through feed of sky remote control signals back to the box.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back