Damaged plaster around switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have put a new metal back box into my wall but the plaster as come away. Any ideas how to fix this problem?

problem.jpg

Sponsored Links
I love the image of the extra-terrestrial with a black eye reflected in the switch plate.

But seriously it is a case of mixing up a quantity of plaster and replacing what has fallen out.

If you haven't still got the paint take a few flakes as samples to the paint shop and buy a "tester" of the right ( nearest ) colour.

But most important.....You do have an earth wire to the front plate of the switch, and you can confirm by testing that the earth wire has continuity to the main earth.

I already have the paint, have some left over. I am going to b&q tomm, what do i need to ask for? and what do i need to do?

Sponsored Links
Keep it simple and get a box of one coat plaster or even the ready mixed stuff.

what do i do with this, do i have to pull off the plaster thats about to come off, sand it down? how many coats?

Depends how deep it is.

I usually make good round a switch box in this fashion:

Isolate the circuit. Remove the accessory. Tuck all wires well into the box.

Make good first with bonding (undercoat) plaster.

Make sure the plaster level is slightly under the surrounding (existing) plaster.

Leave to dry for an hour till firm but still dark brown (or dark grey if your plaster is grey).

Then mix a small quantity of finish plaster and skim over the top.

I use a small brick trowel to mix and apply both plasters, and a float trowel to give a final finish to the skim coat.

This takes a bit of practice, but I find gives the best results.

Some folk use polyfilla, others one-coat plaster, but I believe the two-coat plaster gives the more professional finish.

what do you mean by:

Make good first with bonding (undercoat) plaster?

Do i have to rub it down after first and second coat?

Can i buy small box of these or gotta buy big bag?

Do not refit your brass switch until the plaster has FULLY dried. (This may take upto a week)

The damp plaster may tarnish the polished finish of your switch.

what do you mean by:

What do i need to do if i just used polyfiller instead of the undercoat and finished plaster?

what do you mean by:

What do i need to do if i just used polyfiller instead of the undercoat and finished plaster?

If you're happy using polyfilla then do so, but make sure you apply thin layers and build it up, also in your pic the plaster looks quite loose so make sure you clear all loose plaster.

Oh and by the way please be patient & polite then you'll get answers.

JohnD, myself et al are professionals we do this sort of thing on a regular basis, we give our advice for free for no other reason than we are generous and are always willing to help by passing on our advice based on our own experience.

Compliments of the season etc

How secure is the back box as the brick looks a bit crumbly?

If you're going to use plaster repair make sure you get rid of all the loose plaster i.e. knock out all around the cracks in the photo.

Switch off the lighting cct breaker or remove fuse.

Brush all surfaces for repair with a wet paint brush to improve bonding.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back