Filling gaps in and around switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had three isolation switches fitted with approx 2-3cm gap between. The gaps are open between them and i can see some of the wires.
These gaps are deep into the wall, and i have no idea how to fill them.

Bear with me, i have no technical knowledge at all and a very simple answer would be appreciated.

I am supposing i remove the plates, which would show a row of three metal boxes into which the wires are fed. Am i then free to infill all spaces around the boxes? What should i use for this, anything specific?

Some plaster fell from the wall around the fitting of these which my kitchen fitter plastered around, but he didn't bother to go further. He did feel a shock wet plastering around them so i want to be careful to get it right!

This is probably such a simple operation, so apologies in advance.

Sponsored Links
Photos would be useful, but basically....

Isolate all the power in the area. Mix a small amount of plaster and fill in all of the gaps level with the rest of the plaster. Allow to dry out and clear any plaster splashes on the wires/ rear of switches, then refit.

Some ready mixed filler in tube might do it, squirt it into the gaps and smooth off with a trowel or pallet knife

Sponsored Links
Tell whoever fitted the switches to come back and finish the job.

Hold on, hold on... is it the switch fitter's place to fill chases?

Personally I don't fit accessories until SOMEONE has filled around the boxes (occasionally this may be me).

I prefer to second fix a job once someone has done all the plastering/tiling - but no doubt there's some money grabbers who like to attempt to do the lot in one day.

Hold on, hold on... is it the switch fitter's place to fill chases?
I suppose it depends on what was agreed beforehand.

Personally I don't fit accessories until SOMEONE has filled around the boxes (occasionally this may be me).
There you go.

I prefer to second fix a job once someone has done all the plastering/tiling - but no doubt there's some money grabbers who like to attempt to do the lot in one day.
Not sure what that means exactly.

If you read the OP again, it seems to me that the kitchen fitter only did half a has not finished the job. Edited.

I mean some rubbishy electricians will do the ist fix and 2nd fix, without plastering, in one day - because they don't want to have to return another day. They are in and out, only interested in the money and not doing a nice tidy job.

It says the kitchen fitter half plastered around the sockets once they were livened up, it's not clear if this is the same person who fitted the switches.

Filler is the way to go.

If the holes are deep/wide you'll need several goes at the filler, you can usually get 10mm thickness with each pass. If you want to be shoddy, stuff the bottom of the holes with scruncjed-up newspaper, fill over the top (advantage-you don't getfiller oozing thru knockouts into the box)

Out of interest, why filler? I find plaster bonding coat far more effective and quicker at filling deep holes.

Filler can be quite soft too sometimes.

Depends what you've got kicking about- yes bonding coat is excellent for the job, dunno if its worth having a 10kg bag in the shed for occasional patching jobs :)

I do all my own electrical-related plastering jobs.

Customers loved me when I was S/E. They were worried about mess to the decoration, especially the elderly ones, so to have a one stop shop made them very happy. I charged decent money for that service.

You'd be surprised how often you can remove a strip or patch of wallpaper, cut a chase, lay a cable and fill it in, then restick the paper. Once finished, you'd be pushed to tell from a distance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back