shellac based paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i got a couple of qusetions for anyone with experiance using shellac based products

Whats the correct solvent for shellac based paint?

after ive finished using the paint can i just throw my brushes into the brushmate?

cheers

Sponsored Links
Meths is the solvent. The brushmate is not much use with the shellack, Though If the brush is a good one i'll dunk it in some meths, if I'm using it for a few days I'll wrap brush in cling film before cleaning properly.
Meths will also soften a brush thats gone hard with knotting or bin shelack. ;)

Shame to waste good meths on cleaning brushes though...HIC!

Sponsored Links
sorry to bump this but the best way of cleaning brushes used in shellac is to dip them household ammonia and then rinse in water.

It even works on hardened brushes

Household ammonia stinks so hold your nose or do it outside as your eyes will water.

After you have finished you can leave the ammonia outside for a day and it will evaporate leaving you with coloured water that can be poured away.

Ammonia is cheaper, safer, easier to dispose of, more readily available and better than meths.

You can not use it to thin the shellac paint though (unlike meths).

sorry to bump this but the best way of cleaning brushes used in shellac is to dip them household ammonia and then rinse in water.

It even works on hardened brushes

Household ammonia stinks so hold your nose or do it outside as your eyes will water.

After you have finished you can leave the ammonia outside for a day and it will evaporate leaving you with coloured water that can be poured away.

Ammonia is cheaper, safer, easier to dispose of, more readily available and better than meths.

You can not use it to thin the shellac paint though (unlike meths).

:eek:
Well I never heard of ammonia doing that.. I use ammonia to clean down..I find it much easier than sugar soaps etc, find it difficult to obtain now and expensive much more than meths. Do you use ammonia neat to clean brush?.. It will surley render you unconcious in seconds, (used by bank bandits et al ;) ) So opps! where do you get your ammonia ? dec centres round here dont /never heard of it/ stockit.. I have to travel to old fashioned hardware store now and buy it by 5lt tub..=£15.00. :mad:
Meths will evapourate to a dust in a couple of days if left in open container.

hi jondecs

I use the ammonia neat, only a small amount is needed. For a two brush I use enough to 3rd cover the bristles and then push the brush down.

Alot of chemists/corner stores sell it, granted most decorators merchants don't.

I normally pay about a quid for half a litre. even boots sell it but they charge quite a bit more.

Unlike meths, which will dilute it, the ammonia totally breaks it down meaning that if you rush the cleaning process, once the brush is dry all that will be left is a dust residue in the brush.

Given that the amount used is so small I just hold my breath when rinsing the brush in water afterwards.

The ammonia evaporates quickly but the remainder evaporates at the same rate as water, it is fine to pour down the sink though and then just run the cold tap to clean the sink.

The worrying thing is that I guess you need to make sure that the client never washes the painted surface with ammonia.

I normally dilute it 1 part ammonia to 3-4 parts water when I've been using zinsser BIN. Seems to work OK. Leave to stand overnight then rinse in water.

Gotta say this is new to me too. I'll give it a go as it's hard to get shellac off your brush with meths - unless you use the whole bottle.

I normally dilute it 1 part ammonia to 3-4 parts water when I've been using zinsser BIN. Seems to work OK. Leave to stand overnight then rinse in water.

I had never thought of diluting the ammonia- afterall it is already only 10% by volume.

I guess the advantage is that the smell is tolerable. however using it "neat" means that you can have a clean brush within a couple of minutes of dipping the brush.

Shelllac with ammonia is actually an easier combination than emulsion and water with regard to cleaning.

hi jondecs

Alot of chemists/corner stores sell it, granted most decorators merchants don't.

I normally pay about a quid for half a litre. even boots sell it but they charge quite a bit more. .
Hmm I used to get mine from boots used to order a box of 12. but several yrs ago they stopped selling all housold wares. Tried all chemists round here they think im goin to kidnap someone or rob a bank :LOL:
like i say only place i can get it is from an old emporium type hardware shop where they sell anything.

The worrying thing is that I guess you need to make sure that the client never washes the painted surface with ammonia.

Hmm well whats wrong there? I always wash down with amonia, dilute a couple of capfulls in 2 ltre water , brush on and wipe off with sponge leaves sparkling clean, ready to paint with no residue, good for windows too etc etc..
I will try an old knotting brush in amonia tomoz. I am presently doing a sadolin job and will try amonia neat on some seeping knots to see what wins ..Meths v ammonia :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back