Window Stay won't sit flat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just bought a new window stay and, on fitting it, have found that it won't sit flat. See attached photo. It's not resting on the pins in the picture. Whatever angle I turn it to, it sits at an angle of about 5 degrees above horizontal. OK, I could attach it to the window at a slight angle, but that's not going to help when I want to slot it onto the pin to hold the window ajar.

I can't believe that the stay has this problem - it wasn't that cheap. Am I missing something, or do I need to take it back?

Sponsored Links
cant you just raise the stay a bit,so it sits horizontal with the pins?

cant you just raise the stay a bit,so it sits horizontal with the pins?

Do you mean lower it? I could lower it by about 5mm and it would then fit OK onto the near pin, but would still be a lot too high when I wanted to use the stay to hold the window ajar. If I raise it it will sit even further from the pins. As I mentioned, I could rotate it a bit, but that would still leave me the problem when the window is ajar. It seems to be such a glaring design fault, that I can't believe I'm not missing something.

Sponsored Links
looks like the first pin nearest the handle needs shifting a bit to reline up the hole

looks like the first pin nearest the handle needs shifting a bit to reline up the hole

It's lined up with the hole and sticking through it. As I say, the stay is not resting on it.

Oh dear peterboo, still having a bit of trouble with this one eh? :LOL:

then just drill bigger hole in it lol

confused.jpg

if you unscrew the part fixed to the casement, will the stay now fit neatly over the two pins? If so, do that, then re-mark the casement and fit the pivoting part wherever it lies when the stay is over the pins.

If not, move one of the pins so that you get a pin in each hole, then re-fix the pivoting part to the casement where it fits.

I really cannot believe that the stay is faulty, I reckon you've fitted it wrong. If you tried to use the old holes from the old stay they are probably not in quite the right positions.

In your pic it looks to me like the casement part is too low.

if you unscrew the part fixed to the casement, will the stay now fit neatly over the two pins? If so, do that, then re-mark the casement and fit the pivoting part wherever it lies when the stay is over the pins.

If not, move one of the pins so that you get a pin in each hole, then re-fix the pivoting part to the casement where it fits.

I really cannot believe that the stay is faulty, I reckon you've fitted it wrong. If you tried to use the old holes from the old stay they are probably not in quite the right positions.

In your pic it looks to me like the casement part is too low.

Thanks, but I took it back and the man in the store agreed it was faulty. He looked at another one that seemed to have the same problem, then a third which was OK. I've now fitted that and it's gone on OK.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back