Paper Shredder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am hoping to salvage an old paper shredder.
The switch is missing and I would appreciate any help, please, to suggest a suitable one or an alternative way of "wiring" a circuit that would make it operate. The motor needs forward and reverse.
A diagram of the existing circuit is shown, but i do not have details of the original switch internals View media item 18841

Sponsored Links
Looks like an on-off-on rocker, but agree with last post -you might find other problems even with a new £5 switch.

It depends if this is a domestic or commercial shredder.

The price of a commercial office shredder for regular use would certainly warrent a repair.

However, we would be guessing if we tried to decide what colour did what! You would ideally need to see the switch to determine the correct way to connect a replacement, even if the replacement was not identical.

Sponsored Links
http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/index_7691.htm

9 quid at Lidl from Thursday 21st, not worth trying to fix a busted one.

Better for the environment though and no issue with trying to correctly dispose of electrical waste. (well except the old switch . . .)

It is an industrial one, with excellent metal teeth and substantial motor etc, hence why i want to salvage it.

are there any markings on the motor? what is the make and model of this device (just in case anyone recognises it)?

Thats a lot of wires for just forward and reverse. How old is the unit? Can you find any part numbers for the motor which may lead to a connection diagram?

Is it possible there is more missing than you think - i.e. some of the wires you think went to the main switch went to things like a paper sensor maybe?

could be :

one wire for reverse
one wire for forwards (continous)
one wire for forwards when paper detected.

or it could be different !

Switch surround markings may give a clue.

or you could risk not having a switch and just wire it for forwards auto.
and turn it off at the mains

GEC Motor Division AC Motor Type BCP 15-11 ???
But i did not find anything on a Google search

How would the wiring need to be for "forward only" please Andy?

Better for the environment though and no issue with trying to correctly dispose of electrical waste. (well except the old switch . . .)
6594395_fb3824c7e1.jpg

:LOL:

By the way, its amazing how many image results come up by typing biffa bin into google. :LOL:

I would check the rated voltage.
Black and white cable seems a bit odd.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back