dimmer for lights plus switch for LV fan ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

i have a lower voltage extactor fan and a set of mains spot lights.

i would like to use a single wall plate, but also have a dimmer on the spot lights.

is this possible ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The dimmer will have three terminals, L1, L2 and the wiper. If your live goes into L1, then you could wire the fan to L2 and the lights to the wiper and it should work...

Whether its safe or legal is another matter.

Dimmers dont work like that, they have electonics, not just a "pot" as your post implies

what room is this to be in?

Sponsored Links
Last one I fitted did, and it was only a couple of weeks ago. Having said that, I did originally plug a low-energy bulb into it and it flickered, which stacks up with the way a Triac-driven dimmer works (see-I've been doing my homework now)...

jtaunton said:
Last one I fitted did, and it was only a couple of weeks ago. Having said that, I did originally plug a low-energy bulb into it and it flickered, which stacks up with the way a Triac-driven dimmer works (see-I've been doing my homework now)...

More research topics for you, if you want to learn some more stuff:

1) what is reverse phase control dimming, and why this can't be done with triacs.
2) the problems caused by the harmonic currents caused by phase control dimming
3) how the analogue (0-10v) stage lighting control system works

@original poster: grid system

i thought 0-10V control had been almost totally dropped in favour of DMX nowadays

Hi

I do want to separately switch the lights and the extractor.

The switch is outside the room.

I was not sure if

a) A double dimmer switch would power the fan properly, or,

b) it is possible to get a single plate with one switch and one dimmer ?

Thanks

petercull said:
a) A double dimmer switch would power the fan properly
No

b) it is possible to get a single plate with one switch and one dimmer ?
I don't think I've ever seen one, but that doesn't mean they don't exist, but if you can't find one you can assemble one from a grid system, which lets you make up a single plate containing either a mix of different things and/or a large number of things.

You buy individual modules, which can be switches, fuses, dimmers, neon indicators etc, a frame to fix them to, which then screws to a flush or surface mount box (conventional ones for the smaller sizes of frames) and then a plate to cover the whole lot up, e.g :

MKK4501.JPG
MKK4891.JPG

MKK4500.JPG
MKK4890.JPG

MKK3702.JPG
MKK3703.JPG

MKK3704.JPG

MKK3632.JPG
MKK3633.JPG

MKK3634.JPG

MKK3514.JPG

ban-all-sheds said:
jtaunton said:
Last one I fitted did
So it had a live feed, and two switched outputs - one dimmed and one not dimmed?

Exactly that - It wasn't anything special, just the first dimmer switch I picked up at Do-It-All. I originally thought that was what the poster was looking for, but apparently not now the thread has developped.

Some old MK Logic dimmers had terminals that allowed you to wire two different fittings to the switch so that one was switched and dimmed, and the other just plain on/off.

Maybe Volex, too??

But I don't think either co. makes anything similar now.

Sounds like a Good Idea™ - I'll bet there are quite a few people who'd like to have bathroom lights on a dimmer but retain a fan triggered by them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back