Is this just paint pealing off?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just wondering if the ceiling in my room is simply just old paint peeling off or something more. It doesn't look like asbestos artex but could it be? We have that downstairs and it's in patterns and this isn't just seems like a very old ceiling and nothing to worry about other then looking a bit ugly!?

Sponsored Links
It looks like it could be a bit of both,,, old paint peeling/peeled off, and then someone's tried to cover it with what looks to me like Polytex, a paint that has a grit through it. It was brushed on, and used to cover older ceilings/walls, and always ended up looking patchy. I'm more or less certain Polytex "doesn't" contain asbestos. If the ceiling itself is sound, apart from the odd crack here and there, (which can be repaired), you could get the ceiling skimmed over with plaster, and it will look as good as new. Get a couple of quotes and opinions from local plasterers.

When I touch it I get a white powder on my hands, so that would be for sure polytex then? I'm a bit short of money so other then looks is it safe to keep this stuff the way it is, obviously if it's not safe i'll get something done.

Sponsored Links
Roughcaster is right - it's one or the other. Just give it a few coats of dilute vinyl matt emulsion until you can afford to get it sorted.

Ok, cheers thanks for the advice, so is it worth getting sampling for asbestos? Kind of annoying got artex downstairs tested recently, whch came back as containng the stuff could have got it done then included for free.

Just paint it and lock it in. No need to panic.

hmm yeah, not my house though, so limited what I can do I guess, I don't think the landlord is willing to do much.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back