Mira Elite st shower cutting out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a Mira Elite st pump shower for 1year and the power cuts out intermitently.
Power cuts out when having a shower also when not in use. Electrician has checked the wiring fuse box and isolator switch and says everything is secure. Domestic shower engineer has checked shower and said 100% certain no fault with the shower. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing the problem ?

Sponsored Links
I have had a Mira Elite st pump shower for 1year and the power cuts out intermitently.
Power cuts out when having a shower also when not in use. Electrician has checked the wiring fuse box and isolator switch and says everything is secure. Domestic shower engineer has checked shower and said 100% certain no fault with the shower. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing the problem ?

What do you mean by cutting out?

Water stops flowing?
Goes from hot/warm to cold?
Electrics cut out?

Sponsored Links
The fuse box trips

What exactly is it that "trips". ie what is written on it.

Does it say B40 or something, or does it say 30mA??

A pic of your consumer unit would help

EDIT: Curses too slow!!!, but great minds.....

Hello

On the fuse box there is a blue switch on the right that is the one that trips. There is a black switch on the left but that does not change. There is a 40 amp fuse.

Hello

On the fuse box there is a blue switch on the right that is the one that trips. There is a black switch on the left but that does not change. There is a 40 amp fuse.

As Taylortwocities has asked, what is written / printed on the device that trips?

Is the device actually part of the consumer unit or is it in a separate enclosure?

Its sounding more like an RCD at this time, which may point to an insulation fault. You'd need an electrician with proper test equipment, just visually inspecting the terminations wouldn't be enough unless you can see the entire cable run.

More info / better description is still required, ideally a picture.

Hi, the shower is 9.8 kw.

The wiring to the shower is only one year old and fitted at the same time as the shower was installed. The fusebox component for the shower was also newly installed in a separate enclosure.

9.8kW = 9800W

9800W / 230Volts = 42.6Amps

if on a 40A breaker it is pulling more than it should and possibly a good reason for cut-out.

Family friend of mine has a 9.9kW shower and is getting the same
problem. For now he is using it on the medium setting until a suitable breaker can be found and installed.

The shower engineer suggested a 45 amp fuse. However this does not explain why power cuts out when shower not in use

9.8kW = 9800W

9800W / 230Volts = 42.6Amps

if on a 40A breaker it is pulling more than it should and possibly a good reason for cut-out.

Family friend of mine has a 9.9kW shower and is getting the same
problem. For now he is using it on the medium setting until a suitable breaker can be found and installed.

And how exactly would that explain it tripping when switched off?

How long would it take for an unknown type of breaker or fuse to trip at 42.6A (probably 40.8A)?

And from the OP's description of a separate enclosure, i'd say its even more likely to be an RCD, but until this is confirmed with the text printed on the device, or a photo its pointless speculating further.

9.8kw/240 = 40.83 amps, this how ever has nothing to do with your RCD tripping, also why are you assuming the shower at fault, if the electricity trips when it is or isnt being used?

You need someone to provide an insulation resistance test on all of your wiring although I suspect a faulty appliance somewhere else, the large amount of current being drawn when the shower is on wont help I but certainly doubt it is the root cause.

Can you clarify some things, does the switch that trips have a test button on it?
Did the electrician that came and checked the circuit use any test equipment, or did he just have a look at things?
Likewise for the shower repair chap?

Hi 1john

Thanks.
The shower has its own separate enclosure so no other appliance involved. Also no test button on rcd. shower repair man tested circuitry but not sure about electrician think will get back to him to test.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back