What's best value for £ - repair or replace?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our Glow Worm Cxi30 appears to have been got at by the cold. It definately had frozen water in the condensation pipe which we defrosted, but now it's leaking in various places. A heating engineer has taken a look and recommended a few things needs replacing (a pipe joint), also at least the fan and heat exchanger need replacing, but also can't rule out needing a new PCB.

To make the repairs he's identified he's quoting £650 parts & labour excluding a pcb.

To replace the boiler with a Baxi one he'll charge us £1000 parts & labour, including an extra thermostat to stop it getting got by the cold again. He thinks the Baxi one is better made than the Glow Worm model.

He's going to be cheap as it's a job he's doing on the side of his usual work, as a favour to us.

Our concerns are:
- Is the Glow worm boiler such a cheap model it's guaranteed to go again?
- Is the Baxi one much better?
- Why do engineers always seem to want to replace the boiler?

Any advice would be gratefully received.
Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Why do engineers always seem to want to replace the boiler?

Seeing as you've even been given a repair option on this occasion, perhaps you could expand on your 'always' claim.

Check the 'on the side' doesn't mean away from any employer or it'll be illegal.

Sponsored Links
Go on then. I'm very interested to know how it's done to full UK part L, benchmark and manufacturers standard in a few hours. This could change the way we all work.

Go on then

I'd need permission from the forum as parts contain information on the gas train.
You have an over regulated and over populated society in the UK.
Over 50million people on a tiny island. yuk
I'd say 60% of your learning is wasted on usless regs and red tape.
Come over to the states where things are much more relaxed.
The land of freedom.
I changed my boiler in a few hours. Why is it an experienced engineer cannot do it?

Sorry. No can do.
It's bound to breach some regulation or other in your land of regulation.lol :LOL:
Have a nice day suckers.

Sorry. No can do.
It's bound to breach some regulation or other.lol :LOL:
Have a nice day suckers.

No, you can do both DIY and have jobs commissioned & inspected but then I suppose you wouldn't know that any better than you know anything else you've failed to describe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back