Are these boilers any good...???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
POTTERTON PROMAX HE PLUS 24 SL NG
We are having a new kitchen fitted and wanted to replace the boiler as its getting on a bit....BG recomended a Glow worm or a Baxi condensing boiler, both rated at 18kw..(I think i got that right)...
Would the Potteton be a better choice..???

All advice gratefully received as i dont know that much about this sort of thing

Sponsored Links
why dont you have a look on which at what they recommend.

Personally id recommend you get an Ariston Clas HE. Comes with a 5 year warrenty from the manufacturer so long as you have a yearly safety inspection and get BG out your life for 5years
(add it up its probably going to endup the same price as the installation itself for whatever cover you have)

Ray

potterton wont be any better than a glowworm or baxi, probably much the same. Nothing wrong with any of them. get a few quotes. The installation is as important as the boiler.

Sponsored Links
Hi Gasman...the 24kw is the one the Potterton web site recomended for the size of the house.Also it has come in at the same price as both the 18kw boilers that BG has recomended...Surely it is better to have a bigger boiler in the first place incase we extend and have to add extra rad's..???

the 24kw is the one the Potterton web site recommended for the size of the house.
Manufacturer's and many installers tend to over-specify, then there is no comeback. It was the norm back in the 1960's when central heating became more prevalent. The Gas Board, who had a monopoly on gas boiler installations, would advertise "guaranteed temperatures", which they could do because everything was over-sized. Gas was also very cheap!

I assume you are not talking about a combi (instant hot water) boiler.

If you want to know what size boiler you need, use the Boiler Size Calculator, which is independent of all manufacturers and installers.

Surely it is better to have a bigger boiler in the first place, in case we extend and have to add extra rad's..???
Only you can decide how likely that is and how far into the future it would be. Unfortunately modern condensing boilers do not appear to last as long as the old cast iron ones, which could last 30 years or longer. So you may find that you have to replace the boiler before building the extension!

Ideal logic every time why pay an extra £350 quid for a worcester with a two year warrenty when ideal give 5 years and its a better boiler..

greenstars have gone down the pan i think.

Logic's an unproven design...only been out a short time...plenty of time yet for the heat exchanger to turn into a dog.

The alloys are all different. The Worcester heat ex. is easy to clean.

The Worcester has been out for many years and AFAIK is now relatively problem free. Worcester will be around in 10 years...Ideals future is always procarious.

A magnaclean can take more dirt than a worcester wb3 heatcell before it starts to leak.

Hi guy's thanks for all the reply's, really helpfull as always.....
Anyway its an Ideal cond boiler coming out.....
Isnt a Potterton a cheap Worcester anyway..????

Isnt a Potterton a cheap Worcester anyway..????
No. Completely different boilers made by completely different companies.

Baxi, Potterton and Main are all part of the Baxi Group and there are many similarities between their boilers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back