Replacing Baxi Solo 2 with Combi via npower or northern gas?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Can anyone give any suggestions on how much more efficient say a
Glow Worm Ultracom 30kw sxi or Potterton Promax 24 HE Plus would be over an old Baxi Solo 2 50RS??

From looking at various websites it looks like the Baxi is/was 70% and the newer 2 are 90%?

Thinking of getting a combi installed by npower/northern gas or someone else - any experience of how good these companies are??
Was thinking it would be in region of £2k-2.5k is that about right?

Thanks for any advice :)

Sponsored Links
Get a quote from an independant installer and I would expect them to be considerably cheaper.

Problem is who can you trust?
At least with a big company you can usual get any problems sorted?
Smaller one man firms can just dissapear after doing the work - good job or not!

Seen lots of Northern Gas installs...........hmmm. Depends on who your fitter is....some good, some not so.

Sponsored Links
The main hot water cylinder has quite a lot of corrosion around it - been leaking for years before we moved in. (cost to replace according to 3 quotes is £1000+)
Also the water never seems to get really hot - or takes an age due to tank size.

So was thinking rather than spending on new/smaller tank to get combi and get hot water too, maybe save a little on the gas too??

The boiler seems to be running ok at present - fingers crossed!

The main hot water cylinder has quite a lot of corrosion around it - been leaking for years before we moved in. (cost to replace according to 3 quotes is £1000+)
!

F*** me i'd come from southampton, change the cylinder and still only charge you 2/3rd's of that!!

Even with larger companies the installation is only as good as he engineers that fits it. My advice would be to ask around for recommendations for installers in your area.

Even with larger companies the installation is only as good as he engineers that fits it. My advice would be to ask around for recommendations for installers in your area.

Mark Br is right, take his advice, also ask for a boiler with a three/five year warrentee, and one that has weather compensation built in.

Tim

Just got first quote - Veismann 35kw - £3080 (includes 2 replacement rads - approx £200)
Is this about right??
Seems top end - was thinking nearer £2k ??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back