Replacing Baxi Solo 2 with Combi via npower or northern gas?

Just got first quote - Veismann 35kw - £3080 (includes 2 replacement rads - approx £200)
Is this about right??
Seems top end - was thinking nearer £2k ??

far too high £2,250 would get you a BBU to combi change from us!
a heat only to combi around £2k would be ok but no more than 2.25k

Sponsored Links
I fitted 70 Potterton Promax last yearon a building site and had to get engineer out to 12 of them that wouldnt work......not a good success rate in my opinion.

Just got first quote - Veismann 35kw - £3080 (includes 2 replacement rads - approx £200)
Is this about right??
Seems top end - was thinking nearer £2k ??

Its difficult advising on the price as I cant actually see the property, but its more the spec I am interested in.

Does the bloke include the Vitotronic 200 weather compensation unit and a Magnaclean in that price, and is he able to offer the five year parts and labour warrenty, is there vat included in this estimate.

Tim

PS dont forget to try to get the installers you have giving you quotes to join Diynot's Combustion Chamber and ARGI ;)

Sponsored Links
No the Vitotronic 200 weather compensation unit is not included, it does include sludge remover and clean/inhibitor...
5 yr warranty included and vat yes

Forgot to ask about how old the rad valves are as they might leak if the existing is open vented and you will be converting to sealed system.

The Vitotronic 200 weather compensation unit and a Magnaclean & decent TRV's are some thing you could be including in your spec when seeking other quotes.

Tim

Not sure what the point of the weather compesation thing is???
Surely you can just use a thermostat in the house to get it to the temp you want - regardless of outside temp?

Thanks for advice on TRV's :)
What is the magnaclean for??

Not sure what the point of the weather compensation thing is???
Surely you can just use a thermostat in the house to get it to the temp you want - regardless of outside temp?
Your not alone! I came across an installer who thought weather compensation was the same as a frost thermostat.

Basically weather compensation is a way of varying the boiler's water temperature with the outside weather. The boiler and radiators are sized for a worst case situation, normally an outside temperature of -1°C. (I know, that's a bit high in the current situation :LOL: .) In warmer weather the radiators do not need to get so hot. This can be achieved in two ways: have the boiler on for a shorter time( i.e short on, long off); run the boiler continuously, but at different temperatures.

The typical room stat uses the first method. The boiler will heat the water to max temperature and the room stat will turn the boiler off. After the temeperture has dropped the cycle repeats.

Weather compensation uses the second method. The heat output of the boiler is adjusted according to the outside temperature and the boiler runs almost continuously at a lower temperature.

What is the Magnaclean for??
It's a filter which goes (usually) in the return pipe to the boiler. It contains a magnet which traps all the magnetite which can circulate round the system and cause blockages. The filer will need emptying occasionally.

There are other products on the market which do the same job. Some include methods of trapping magnetic and non-magnetic sludge.

Ah i see thanks!
Only downside is the additional cost....
Does running the boiler at lower temp for longer save much though???

Does running the boiler at lower temp for longer save much though???
That's what all the theoretical calculation say. ;)

It's probably a bad analogy, but which do you think is better: a car which is either moving at top speed or not moving at all, or a car where you can vary the speed according to conditions.

All I need now is someone to install a decent boiler with all the extras and a 5yr warranty for a price nearer to 2k than 3 or 4 ! :)

I fitted 70 Potterton Promax last yearon a building site and had to get engineer out to 12 of them that wouldnt work......not a good success rate in my opinion.

He's on about a Promax combi mate totally differant boiler other than the name :confused:

If it was me i would go for a Baxi Platinum combi which comes with a 5 year warranty parts and labour ! and has won several Which awards and orgi awards ! Superb Boiler :D

Where are you in Stafford? North, South or Central?
Can recommend good quality installer in South Staffs. Worcester accredited- this means a worcester boiler though. Powerflush included.
As for N------n G-s there installations in my opinion are very poor. But premium quality prices though!

Right, now had 4 quotes...
Bosch 37cdi - £2750 + VAT
Bosch 37cdi - £2675 + VAT
Any boiler (not supplied) + parts? (not supplied) - £900 to fit only
Valliant 937 - £2300 inc VAT

All include flush, valves and remote stats......and 5 or 6 yr warranty

Seems an obvious choice??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back