kitchen ring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About to put in a seperate ring for the kitchen seeing how it's about to be demolished. At present we have a 30ma rcd that controls the two ring mains (100amp main supply), should I add another for the kitchen or will a 35amp mcb be ok, I have the space in the c/u,(I think I know the answer to this one !!)

Sponsored Links
Scoby_Beasley said:
(I think I know the answer to this one !!)

bet you don't

if you mean add another rcd how are you going to do that then?

if you mean another mcb for the ring then yes 32A and 2.5mm cable in a ring

the rings at the mo are controlled by an 80amp max (?) with test button, dual pole, 32ma cut out.

So do I go for the 32a mcb instead ?

And can I remove the d/p rcdmcb and seperate upstairs from down stairs ?

This 80A RCD (question 1 answered!) means it can 'monitor' a max of 80A of current at any one time. This is probably quite adequate but remember that an RCD does not protect against over current so a 32A MCB should be installed in conjunction with this. This RCD can be used along with an additional MCB to protect a new Ring.

And can I remove the d/p rcdmcb and seperate upstairs from down stairs ?
I don’t know what exactly you mean I would need more info.

No offence intended but from reading your post I would get the impression that you are not terribly familiar with the CU set-up. May I advise you that the RCD/MCB protection is critical to your safety and I would advice you to think carefully before altering it?

What exactly is this 80A RCD (30ma tripping current) protecting??
A colour photograph of your CU would be very useful here if you could manage it.

Sponsored Links
I must admit I'm a little surprised that after all the time Scoby has spent here, reading and replying to posts, that he hasn't picked up a little bit more knowledge on the difference between RCDs and MCBs, and where in the hierarchy of protection they sit, and what kind of protection they provide....

the 80a d/p rcd is protecting all sockets in the house, 4N + 4L, take me back to the old fuse boxes ! 35 mcb for kitchen it is then

ban-all-sheds said:
I must admit I'm a little surprised that after all the time Scoby has spent here, reading and replying to posts, that he hasn't picked up a little bit more knowledge on the difference between RCDs and MCBs, and where in the hierarchy of protection they sit, and what kind of protection they provide....
80% conversant with the differences, just want to make sure the new kitchen ring will comply to the ever changing regs

Put me glasses on in daylight and realised it's one of (or v. similar) to one of these

CM93203.jpg

I'm getting steadily more confused.

In post #1 you said "At present we have a 30ma rcd that controls the two ring mains (100amp main supply)"

In #2: "the rings at the mo are controlled by an 80amp max (?) with test button, dual pole, 32ma cut out."

In #3: "the 80a d/p rcd is protecting all sockets in the house"

In #4 you post a picture of a 32A 30mA RCBO

:?: :?: :?:

Also (and I think this is an irrelevant aside - "And can I remove the d/p rcdmcb and seperate upstairs from down stairs ?" How does removing a circuit breaker split a ring into two?

ban-all-sheds said:
Also (and I think this is an irrelevant aside - "And can I remove the d/p rcdmcb and seperate upstairs from down stairs ?" How does removing a circuit breaker split a ring into two?
Not one ring, theres two, 4N + 4L into this gizmo which is 32A 30ma (told ya I'd put me glasses on !!), made by wylex stamped up mcbrcd and takes up two spaces, hence the rip it out and replace with two 35a mcb's.
Think best to wait until I fit new c/u, as some of this wiring is a bit weird.

Ah - the mists are clearing.

Two rings from one RCBO - that is odd. I'll bet that it was originally 2 rings from 2 MCBs, and then someone decided to add RCD protection, found that RCBOs are twice the size, and so had to amalgamate the rings.

Whatever - yes you can split them as you said, but that'll leave you with no RCD. If you're planning a new CU, wait until then.

Kitchens are better on their own ring or 4mm radial.

Fridge/Freezers should not be RCD protected.

Sorry for the confusion.
I originally glanced at the c/u, through the birds cage, stepladder, vacuum, paint tins etc. and found this
and thought "thats the one" without bothering to check (with glasses !) properly :oops: :oops: :oops:

I've slapped me wrist !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back