Waxy wire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house is a 1960's excouncil house with I assume original wiring.

When I have changed the light fittings I have noticed that the wires have a waxy horrible goo on them, smells like earwax, and is a bit green. (From the copper I imagine). I am sure it is on the power ringmain too.

Its not gushing out, but is there in a dribble.

Anyone know what it is and if I need to do anything about it?

Am in the middle of building a huge extension so if I need to rewire, nows the time, although I could do without the extra work if its normal.

Swiss

Sponsored Links
you need a rewire if it is original. Can you open up a couple of fittings and take a picture for us?

If you go to the IEE wiring regulations forums (http://www.theiet.org/Forums/forum/) and search for "green goo", all should become clear.....

Wow, thanks for that.

It does say that it is quite rare. Does anyone want to buy some old cable with green goo in it?

4) Action if Greening is found
Therefore whenever this green substance is found at socket outlets etc.
initially it should be removed and the terminations cleaned (gloves should
be used) otherwise it is possible that tracking/overheating may occur. It is
strongly recommended that rewiring should be carried out as soon as
possible.
If further information is required, the original cable manufacturer should
be contacted.

Best not pick my nose while sorting this out then! Thanks for the info

Swiss

Sponsored Links
The green goo is pretty rare. I can only remember coming across it twice since I started sparking.

Sorry, could not resist!!

It's because of the green goo that you're sparking... :LOL:

Swiss Tony said:
My house is a 1960's excouncil house with I assume original wiring...

Am in the middle of building a huge extension so if I need to rewire, nows the time...

So, take your own advice. It is a hugely false economy to do a job twice and I absolutely (well, almost) guarantee that if you have the original wiring it needs completely replacing. We've rewired dozens of these types of property and we have never yet come across one that wasn't riddled with DIY alterations - cables run unprotected in notches, unfathomable circuit arrangements, discontinuous earthing, no bonding, etc, etc, etc...

Do it now and rest easy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back