Number of doors between a toilet and a kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a living room with the kitchen open plan onto this. No doors or walls between the two. The bathroom comes directly off my living room. Now, as the old rule of two doors between a toilet and a kitchen comes into play here, my bathroom is annoyingly divided into two rooms. My flat is a purpose-built masionette circa 1984.

Now. Is this a legal requirement? Is it illegal to have a toilet just one door away from a kitchen?

I have read a report on the internet that reckons there is no hygiene benefit of having two doors as the only problem is toilet water misting when you flush and most people close the door if they are doing anything that requires flushing :) In addition a lot of people leave the toilet door open when they are not in it.

So, can anyone tell me: must I have two doors to meet regulations? If not is there a minimum distance say between toilet bowl and kitchen sink?

Sponsored Links
Adam,

In our house built 2 1/2 years ago by a major builder, our downstairs loo door opens directly onto the utility room (which is 6" by 4" and just big enough for a washing machine and tumbler dryer) which is connected to the kitchen by a wide archway. There is less than 2 foot from the kitchen arch to the toilet door.

We did think it strange when we moved in and assumed that regulations are now more relaxed. Hopefully, some one in the know can confirm for you.

building regs now specify just a closable door between kitchen and bathroom/wc

I am glad to hear that, at least it means there is a possibility I can rid myself of this confounded bathroom partition wall!

I know someone with a 19th century house that has a similar arrangement to yours (but replace utility room with dining room) and just assumed they were flouting regulations.

Right, any buildings officers reading this who want to point me to the relevant regs?

Sponsored Links
If memory serves me it can be found in approved document G3.

Ollski, you are a magnificent person. Many thanks for pointing me in the direction of these regs. I can now design a proper-sized bathroom instead of two stupid little rooms with a mouldy partition wall.

For anyone else looking at this, it is covered by requirement G1.2.

I'm off to take a large hammer to the aforementioned studwork.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back