P T F E/ PASTE

Sponsored Links
Taste? feel? merits as chewing gum substitutes (pretty horrible really!), suitability as emergency shoe laces?

What do you actually want to know?

croydoncorgi said:
Taste? feel? merits as chewing gum substitutes (pretty horrible really!), suitability as emergency shoe laces?

What do you actually want to know?

Ditto... One comes on a roll the other in a tub?

It's mostly horses for courses, but there are practical limitations too.

For example, you could, if you wish, put tape on a nut-and-olive joint, but it isn't a practical proposition on the faces of a union.

Sponsored Links
libby lou lou said:
What's the difference between P.T.F.E. tape for gas, and paste? thanks.

The first is a white tape used to seal joints.
The paste does the same but makes your fingers all sticky

I was womdering, one bloke used tape on my hob, but. paste on my gas dryer connection, and i have wondered since if it was because of a regulation,so it would be a personal thing would it?

Yep, personal, mostly. Some people like a bit of bondage, some are happier just to get their fingers sticky.

And the two should never be mixed as the paste rots the tape over time and joint goes loose and starts to leak.

On our job we are forbidden to use PTFE tape on a gas connection, and we have to use paste. The reason given to us is that heat/fire can damage PTFE and could cause a gas leak at just the time when you least need one.

There is some logic to this i suppose.

Alfredo

Alfredo said:
On our job we are forbidden to use PTFE tape on a gas connection, and we have to use paste. The reason given to us is that heat/fire can damage PTFE and could cause a gas leak at just the time when you least need one.

Alfredo

not quite true that al, you can use the thicker grade stuff

Alfredo said:

Alfredo

We are told what we are told, but I would say that you were told a load of boolloocks.

The amount of gas that would get past melted ptfe tape through a threaded joint would be equivalent of asking 3 gnats to fart synchronously then expect to light the effluent gasses.

PTFE seems to last a bit longer than other plastics under heat and I would suspect that soldered joints would melt before what you were told ever became an issue

Have they any idea how much localised heat would be required to melt the PTFE tape in a joint :eek:

I have an image in my mind of a single gas pipe with a compression fitting on the end sticking out of the ground amidst a smouldering pile of rubble which was once a fine house and your boss stood there saying "Glad we used paste this could have been a whole lot worse if we'd used PTFE" :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back