TAKING FOREVER TO GET HOT WATER - HALSTEAD COMBI

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
MY BOILER IS A HALSTEAD FINEST COMBI AND IT SEEMS TO TAKE AN ETERNITY TO GET HOT WATER. I HAVE TAKEN THE MICROSWITCH ASSEMBLY OFF AND OPERATED THIS MANUALLY AND THIS MAKES THE BOILER FIRE UP STRAIGHT AWAY. THE PROBLEM SEEMS TO LIE WITHIN THE ASSEMBLY WHERE THE LITTLE FLOW OPERATED PLUNGER COMES OUT TO SWITCH THE MICROSWITCH AS THIS PLUNGER TAKES A VERY LONG TIME TO START MOVING. ANY IDEAS WOULD BE MOST WELCOME, CHEERS!

Sponsored Links
Divertor valve knackered, or certainly diaphragm anyway.

P.S STOP SHOUTING ASWELL (Try hitting your CAPS key again)

Stan

For some time the boiler has been firing up every ten minutes or so, for about fifteen seconds even though there has been no call for heat or hot water. Could this also be attributed to a faulty diverter valve?

Sponsored Links
Based on this diagnosis, would you advise a new diverter valve or is it likely that this can be overcome with a new diaphragm? As I have found a diaphragm set for £12.50 and the entire valve is about £100!

It isn't a diagnosis - for that you have to investigate!

I "mended" a faulty microswitch the other day by taking it apart and cleaning it - van was 10 minutes away and I couldn't be bothered...

is there any signs of water /dirt in switch or on the dv valve where pin exits?
If so ,this will cause the switch to short circuit fetching the boiler on without demand. Remedy is ti fit new dv valve internal kit.Pain in tha arse if you haven`t got the right sized spanner.Oh and change water section diaphragm while your at it.

Paul

No signs of dirt at all, the pin seems free on the dhw side. I have not had the DV valve in bits yet, would signs of dirt/water cause the boiler to fire up every five to ten minutes with no call for heat or hot water as this has been happening. Why do you need to change the water diaphragm aswell as the internal kit?

Have had this prob with water in switch housing caused by leak where pin exits dv. If dry could just be dud switch.
As for diaphragm ,if you have stripped it down anyways why not ?

So would the most likely cause be the microswitch or the diverter valve diaphragm? To me it seems more probable that its the microswitch given the boiler firing up regularly without call?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back