How do you remove artex?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ted

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone have any easy methods of removing artex from a ceiling? I tried removing a bit, but it looks like the ceiling may come down if I am to forceful

Sponsored Links
I had an artex ceiling - the only way i could remove it was breaking it off in sections with a hammer and chisel and then use plasterboard to make a new ceiling. It was cracking too many plces to do anything else. You could try sanding it down- but the dust from it is massive and harmful.

A good steam paper stripper will shift it, but it's not for the faint hearted. Personally, I would do either of the following: Scrape the sharp bits off all over, then re-skim with finishing plaster (it does a grand job, believe me) or just set about ripping the boards down and re-new them. Either way, a skim is called for, just a thicker one for the first option.

TRY USING SUGAR SOAP. I USED IT TO REMOVE A GREASE MARK OFF MY KITCHEN CEILING AN IT FETCHED THE ARTEX OFF ASWELL RIGHT DOWN TO THE PLASTER BOARD.NOW I HAVE GOT THE PROBLEM OF REINSTATING THE TEXTURED PATTERN

Sponsored Links
I looked in vain on the internet for an easy way to remove artex. None of the methods recommended seemed suited to someone who wanted to avoid hard work so I did a few experiments of my own. As a result I can recommend the 'gloop and scrape' method. I was able to remove my artex with about the same amount of effort it takes to remove stubborn wallpaper - which must be about as easy as it gets. (Only I was removing from a wall)

1. Mix up some wallpaper paste with a nice gloopy consistency.
2. Spread paste onto the wall fairly thickly. Don't brush it in; just leave it lying there.
3. Cut open some black bin liners and put on the wall as if you were applying black plastic wallpaper.
4. Sit down and watch television for about six to eight hours, or do the shopping, or go to bed.
5. Make sure you return to the job before the paste dries completely. (The plastic bin liners stop evapouration and ensures the moisture is taken up by the artex. You can always add more paste if you oversleep!)
6. Remove one bin liner at a time and using a wide wood chisel (e.g. 1 inch) remove the artex. I found it came off relatively easily. Pressing lightly some of the artex remained and could easily be sanded down when it dried out. A little more pressure and the artex (with a bit of care) came away from the original plaster.

[email protected]

ARTEX CONTAINS ASBESTOS!!!

Frequently if not always. Textured plasters since about 1988 are probably ok, but I'm not an expert.

Do NOT breathe artex dust. Do not sand it, do not break it up unless you have full protection (sealed tent and spacesuit!).

Many of the suggestions in other messages on this message board for removing artex should NOT, repeat NOT, be utilised. They may be unsafe. Best to speak to a licensed asbestos contractor first. If it's artex in your home you may not be obliged to follow their advice but you should be aware of the health risk, not only to yourself but to your family especially children.

artex can be skimmed with plaster as long as the artex is coated with 1 part pva adhesive mixed with 4 parts water.leave it to dry for an hour or so. this ensures the plaster doesn,t fall off.
seeing as you,d probably have to skim the ceiling after stripping it anyway this seems a sensible solution.

Artex can removed efficently and safely with a product I recently purchased from Jewsons. It is called X-Tex textured coatings remover and after applying the product within an hour I could remove it all with a flat scraper. I telephoned the company for some advice and they were very helpfull and told me that even artex containing asbestos can be removed safely with this product as it keeps it wet at all times and stops any fibres getting into the atmosphere

do not remove it!!!!! simply scrape off any large protusions seal up with artex sealer and caulk over twice hey presto you have a nice flat ceiling ready to paint as normal i have been artexing for 20 years and thats how to do it

One plasterer who I asked for a quote, looked at my Artex ceiling and recommended covering it directly with plasterboard fixed onto batons.
As Artex is often used to cover bad ceilings, I am concerned this may be too much weight. Is there anything I should be aware of when considering this or is it simply a bad idea?

Believe it or not, the Artex people actually make a product called Artex Skim Coat Which you skim over the offending material as you would with plaster.

The benefit of using this is that it stays wet and workable much longer than plaster, so basically you can work it to perfection even if you're no good at plastering.

It's also extremely fine and mixes up perfectly with an electric drill and coat hanger as a stirrer.

'Real' plaster will not behave in the way you want it to straight out of the packet, unless youre a pro whos done an apprenticeship where you mix up plaster and nothing else for two years before you even spread a wall!

X-Tex Textured Coatings remover.I removed all my artex in the home with this and it works wonders. The comapny told me that it also keeps the artex wet at all times and prevents any asbestos fibres getting into the atmosphere if it is pre-1985 artex it may contain it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back