tiling floor before or after kitchen fitted

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
is it better to have the whole kitchen floor tiled before i have the units fitted as i will be having underfloor heating fitted(depending on price and will need to have it wired up to)

Sponsored Links
Well ideally you want to be tiling the whole floor then fitting your units. The main reason for tiling the whole floor is in case you change your kitchen you won't have bits of floor untiled etc.
Whether you want your underfloor heating to be under the units or not is another question - do you want to keep your cupboards warm? Probably not. So you'd be looking to fit the UFH just where you think you'll be walking. Having said that..... if you change your kitchen layout so that you walk over an area with no UFH you'll have colder patches. ;)

Your base units will very quickly warm to the room temperature anyway.
I would tile the room completely with UFH, which will allow for any future changes.
Your heating will then be slightly more efficient, as it will be akin to using a larger radiator.....

trazor said:
Your heating will then be slightly more efficient, as it will be akin to using a larger radiator.....
It won't be "akin", you WILL be using a larger radiator as such. He'll have to buy a bigger kit to do the whole floor which:
1. will be more expensive to buy
2. will cost more to run

I don't see the logic in having heating directly under where you store your food - surely this isn't the right thing to do? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Within a day of the kitchen temperature stabilizing, everything in the kitchen will come up to that temperature, so unless he is using chillers, the food will rise to that temperature anyway.

UFH heating does not heat a room in the same way a radiator will, its a much gentler heat source, he will not be putting a radiator behind his units.... :LOL:

Yes the initial outlay will be dearer,but your argument is wrong when you say it will cost more to run.

Imagine only half the kitchen being fitted with UFH, not only will it have to run twice as long to reach a desired temperature , as it will only output half the amount of heat, it will also be heating up the cold tiles, which will be removing warmth from the air. Therefore it will have to run proportionately longer to compensate for this.

trazor said:
Within a day of the kitchen temperature stabilizing, everything in the kitchen will come up to that temperature, so unless he is using chillers, the food will rise to that temperature anyway.
Balls - the UFH won't be on 24hrs a day - are you telling me your kitchen is the same temperature all the time? I think not.

trazor said:
UFH heating does not heat a room in the same way a radiator will, its a much gentler heat source, he will not be putting a radiator behind his units.... :LOL:.
I totally agree.

trazor said:
Yes the initial outlay will be dearer,but your argument is wrong when you say it will cost more to run.
Erm, no I'm not.

trazor said:
Imagine only half the kitchen being fitted with UFH, not only will it have to run twice as long to reach a desired temperature..... .
No it won't

trazor said:
... as it will only output half the amount of heat, it will also be heating up the cold tiles, which will be removing warmth from the air. Therefore it will have to run proportionately longer to compensate for this.
You're reaching.
The thermostat probe is fitted between two of the heating wires - once that probe reaches the set temp the heating will cut out. Your argument that the heat will rush away from the heated tiles to heat the rest of the unheated tiles is an absolute nonsense I'm afraid.

after looking at the costwill be leaving UFH, but definately going to have all the floor tiled first

gcol said:
Balls - the UFH won't be on 24hrs a day - are you telling me your kitchen is the same temperature all the time? I think not..

Balls...?????????????....... :LOL:

If your kitchen is warming up, so is your food, irrespective of the final temperature. If he using his UFH to heat the room , by thermostat, to a certain temperature, his food will heat up to that temperature. If he is using his UFH just to remove the chill from his bare feet, that is another matter.
Some people do run the heating 24 hrs in winter ... :eek:

gcol said:
I totally agree

At least we agree on that.............. :LOL:

trazor said:
Imagine only half the kitchen being fitted with UFH, not only will it have to run twice as long to reach a desired temperature..... .
gcol said:
No it won't

Perhaps I worded that wrongly, I meant the room not the UFH only. And it WILL need to run twice as long to heat the ROOM up to a certain temperature.
If you halve the size of the element in your kettle it will take twice as long to boil.

trazor said:
... as it will only output half the amount of heat, it will also be heating up the cold tiles, which will be removing warmth from the air. Therefore it will have to run proportionately longer to compensate for this.
gcol said:
You're reaching.
The thermostat probe is fitted between two of the heating wires - once that probe reaches the set temp the heating will cut out. Your argument that the heat will rush away from the heated tiles to heat the rest of the unheated tiles is an absolute nonsense I'm afraid.

Perhaps this is where we are at odds. I am assuming his ROOM temperature will be controlled by a thermostat, controlling his UFH. You are saying his heating wires are controlled by a thermostat, that will only control his floor heat..............Hmmmmm

Balls...????????????........... :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back