Tile before or after fitting bathroom AND kitchen cupboards?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Do I tile before or after fitting the toilet, basin (semi pedestal) and bath?
and in the kitchen, do I put the flooring before or after fitting the kitchen units/cupboards? Thank you x

Sponsored Links
Bathrooms; fit all sanitary ware first & plumb it in. Use service valves & flexible connectors & it’s easy to fit & remove the loo & wash basin at will but make sure you allow for the thickness of the tiles & adhesive; obviously a semi-pedestal wont make any difference to the floor. Once the bath is fitted, I leave it there & tile down to it, leave a 2mm gap for silicone seal.

Kitchens: you can tile the floor either before or after, it depends if you intend tiling under the kitchen units. You need to tile at least behind the plinth line but also tile under any appliances or you will never get them in & out for servicing. If you tile after fitting you must make allowance for the thickness of the tiles & adhesive. Tile over counter splash backs after fitting the worktop; again, allow a 2mm gap for silicone seal between the tile & worktop.

Tiling isn’t rocket science but there are still many things that can catch you out, particularly if you intend tiling a suspended timber floor. I would advise you read the Tiling Sticky & Forum Archive posts before doing any work or buying materials, it could prevent you making disastrous & potentially expensive mistakes. It’s important to use only quality trade tilling materials of the correct type for your tiles & tile base; cheapo own brand & DIY stuff is mostly crap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back