Painting windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

After 15hrs of solid graft i have managed to strip my spare room window back to the bare wood. I will not be doing this to the other windows but instead heed advice and sand them back.

Can someone advise on what I should do next - do I need to prime the wood? How many coats will I need - do I need to sand in between? I want to use a matt/silk finish - are there any issues with this?

Also as I am not completely stripping the other windows back - will I have problems in matching the windows?

Any help you can give to a complete novice would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Tony

Sponsored Links
You will need to prime the windows but knot them first with knotitng solution.

Then prime

Fill

Rub down

Undercoat

Rub down lightly between each coat

As for the finish paint...you mention matt/silk..they are emulsions ans not a good idea

However, you can get an oil based matt, eggshell or sating (which is slightly more shinier than eggshell) finish

I'd stick to one of those

Hi Zampa,

Many thanks for that. The windows are orginial in a 1930's house - will they still need knotting??

If I was to choose the oil based satin - on my other windows, can I just rub them down lightly and fill. Will there be any issues with using this paint on top of an existing paint?

Cheers

Tony

Yep..knots can lose resin for years.

Regards the others, you can either rub em down then fill, under/first coat and second coat

Or rub em down, undercoat, fill then two top coats

I would rather fill on undercoat than old gloss because the filler sticks better

One that...use a decent filler Touptret is very good for adhearing to paint

Tetrion isnt and its also very grainy

Sponsored Links
You will need to prime the windows but knot them first with knotitng solutionThen prime
Fill
Rub down
Undercoat
Rub down lightly between each coat
As for the finish paint...you mention matt/silk..they are emulsions ans not a good idea
However, you can get an oil based matt, eggshell or sating (which is slightly more shinier than eggshell) finish
I'd stick to one of those

I know that this is an old posting but assuming that painters do take shortcuts are these dicussed anywhere?

Not that I know of..there are certain other ways of doing things but all the guys...and girl ;) tend to offer advice by the book, its not really right tellng people how to 'make do' and 'get by' by taking shortcuts..as it happens they are no real shortcuts to doing a job..just 'other ways'

But as you asked... I use thinned out undercoat instead of wood primer.

Or rub em down, undercoat, fill then two top coats

Thank you Zampa, I think that the advise you gave here is what I meant by a shortcut.
On another post, I asked if Butinox would be a good coverall for windows, some of which are peeling on the sills, some that are painted and some that are varnished. I really would be grateful for your advice here. The reason I ask is because the painters are using it on local council houses.

Sorry mate..trade secret..

Only kidding...I cant help you though..ive never used it..in fact ive never heard of it.

For powder filler toupret or interior polyfilla are as good as it gets.

What ever you do dont use mangers filler..its like filling with gravel, and you can rub it down with your bare fingers...absolute **** IMO

Thanks again Zampa. Incidently, a few weeks back I asked you whether a paint called butinox would be a good 'coverall' and your reply was that you hadn't heard of it. I posed the same question to the distributers, and they replied "Yes" and "that it would cover a multitude of sins". I'm just about to start so I'll soon see.

Edited 6pm. Just finished 2 windows (1 painted, 1 varnished and both with bare wood) and the results are far better than I expected. Although I will give the recommended 2nd coat, to be honest they dont look as though they need it. The paint or stain is very, very thick and I'm sure that you must use an equivelant where you are.
Thanks for your advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back