what are your views on this diy install ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,
i have been approached by a local builder to connect gas to a new boiler he has fitted in a bungalow.
i dont agree with this kind of work so declined the offer and said it was illegal for him to fit a boiler.
what are your views of this and do any of you lads agree with this ??

cheers

Sponsored Links
I whole heartedly agree with your decision to decline this work. You would be signing it off and notifying it under your name therefore absolving the builder from any responsibility.

You would need to fit the flue yourself, install and connect gas, flush system out and commission it, so he might as well of got you to hang it and rest in the first place :rolleyes:

have been approached by a local builder to connect gas to a new boiler he has fitted
:rolleyes:

i dont agree with this kind of work so declined the offer
;) Well done 2face.

said it was illegal for him to fit a boiler.
:eek:

what are your views of this and do any of you lads agree with this ??

Agree with your decision, Blow the barstuard out the water :LOL: :LOL:

gas4you said:
You would need to fit the flue yourself, install and connect gas, flush system out and commission it, so he might as well of got you to hang it and rest in the first place :rolleyes:

In addition you need to fit the mounting bracket!

You dont have to do the flushing or inhibiting yourself.

I am always happy to do the required things if contacted in advance and check the siting and do the required things over two visits and usually charge about £180.

If I am called after the boiler has been fitted I am happy to come and check it and commission it. I complete the Benchmark as the commissioning engineer but mark any relevant parts with a dash or questionmark and charge our standard £84. I will issue a CP12 for an additional £35.

I am not happy with this issue of CP12s. There are many installers and landlords who get a CP12 as the only certification for a boiler. I dont think that should be allowed but we can do it so if I dont then others will.

Tony

Sponsored Links
I am not happy with this issue of CP12s. There are many installers and landlords who get a CP12 as the only certification for a boiler. I dont think that should be allowed but we can do it so if I dont then others will.

Just because others do Tony should mean you should have to.
Lowering your standards as a professional there big fella.

Iam of the thought if we all did it then we would get very few installs, and then CORGI would stand for....Cowboys Own Registered Gas Installs :evil:

Agile said:
You dont have to do the flushing or inhibiting yourself.Tony

I disagree totally, the flushing and cleansing is part of BENCHMARK and part of the conditions of the manufacturers warranty.

You are signing the BENCHMARK saying you have commissioned the boiler to MI's. Unless you flush and cleanse yourself how do you know it's been done adequately?

I would have thought that you of all people would want to do this Tony, as you are always saying how important flushing is and not many installers know how to do it correctly and proficiently :eek:

I see the problem lying with CORGI who permit us to commission a boiler on the basis that its better checked by a professional than not!

I can see their argument but it offers a way out to those landlords who use unregistered installers.

However until Building Control have the staffing to deal with boilers that will never happen and thats in reality never likely to happen.

Tony

Case of who ever shouts the loudest Dave.

daz.gif

Agile said:
I see the problem lying with CORGI who permit us to commission a boiler on the basis that its better checked by a professional than not!

I can see their argument but it offers a way out to those landlords who use unregistered installers.

However until Building Control have the staffing to deal with boilers that will never happen and thats in reality never likely to happen.

Tony

This has not addressed my issue with your post about flushing though Tony :rolleyes:

CORGI do NOT give permission to commision a DIY installation and state that if you have reason to believe that the boiler has been installed by a non competant person (or can produce a BC cert) then you will write out a riddor.

and leave well alone

The reason for the "commisioning engineer" part of a benchmark is a sop to housebuilders who believe its quicker to have a team installing and one bloke following the job up. I dont agree but they are considerably richer than I am so what they wants goes pretty much.

Unfortunatley boilers do not have an alarm that rings if it was installed by MR Joe Soap of Bodger close so most of the time you have no idea who installed it, although alarm bells should ring if you have been asked to carry out a CP12 on a boiler under 12 months old!!!!!

as for you dont have to flush and inhibit I sort of agree with Dave but as a "commisioning engineer" you should be carrying out a water analsys (witht the appropriate chemicals) to ensure that all installation debris as been flushed out, copper, acid iron etc etc. and to ensure the system has been dosed with inhibiter correctly.

If you are undertaking this work for DIYers Tony you are breaking the law, undermining the industry and just plain and simply wrong

shame on you and your 180 quid

Agile said:
If I am called after the boiler has been fitted I am happy to come and check it and commission it. I complete the Benchmark as the commissioning engineer but mark any relevant parts with a dash or questionmark
Tony

I check and commission the boiler as best as I can in the circumstances. As I said above I put dashes or question marks where I was not involved or unable to check like flushing and chemical treatment.

My involvement is primarily to enable the safety of the installation to be confirmed and the gas settings to be checked. That will commence the manufacturer's guarantee with the exception of any water treatment issues.

Its not ideal but in these situations its the best I can do. In most instances the owner was totally aware but in a few the customer was fooled by the installer.

Tony

That is not the best you can do tony and you know it

RIDDOR It

as for the poor little customer My eye they have been fooled they just look at the bottom line end of.

IMO they reap what they sow and should do it properly, better they do it themselves and get the BC in even if they do have to wait ages

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back