Installation of new boiler with NON-corgi approved...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I have been given a quote on a new boiler but it turns out the guy isn't corgi approved. He did say that the actual installation of the gas supply would be carried out by a corgi approved person but the rest of the job would be done by himself.
What are peoples views on this? And just one last query. I've had several quotes and he said that I would have to have a pipe fitted to the drains outside to remove the effluent produced by the boiler when its heating the house. No-one else has mentioned this pipe and just wondering what your thoughts are on this.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
the pipe outside would be the condensate pipe.
it wouldn't be my choice of installers.

Ask him..
Is the Corgi registered guy going to install the flue, commission and test the boiler is working safely and notify building control too?

Installing a boiler is 'working' on a gas appliance whether he connects the gas pipe or not. The HSE and Corgi would take a very dim view of this persons activities.
If the person offering to install your boiler was competent and knowledgable enough to do so, then why wouldn't he get qualified and register with Corgi himself?

In the interests of your families safety I would have a boiler installed by a Corgi registered fitter who has Public Liability Insurance and who can give you references of happy customers.

Have met a few people who have taken this route and not recieved the corgi appliance notification afterwards, and then had problems with the warranty. The guy who installed it then could not be contacted again , he,d got his money and disappeared into the sunset on his horse :evil:

Sponsored Links
To satify regs the CORGI guy would have to assemble the flue ,Actually hang the boiler on the wall himself,connect the gas ,carry out all the setting up and checks and fill in the benchmark cert and inform CORGI or building control ARE YOU STUPID GET A CORGI INSTALLER

Thanks for all your replies. I have decided that I need to get a Corgi installer for the boiler installation.:) He did have more than 20 years experience and had been recommended to me by someone. As for why he didn't qualify and register for it who knows! :?:

Thanks for all your replies. I have decided that I need to get a Corgi installer for the boiler installation.:) He did have more than 20 years experience and had been recommended to me by someone. As for why he didn't qualify and register for it who knows! :?:

Good on you , i just makes no sense to you use a non corgi guy ,but try to use someone on another recomendation . good luck

Simple Corgi registered does not mean better. or know what they are doing
There are guys out there who will do a far better job than any corgi registered bloke and if he has a mate who will register it so what
If he is coming highly recommended then get him ,if it is on price then be wary.
Most manufacturers will not bother under warranty if it has been installed by corgi but if there are basic faults then they may back out.

Yes i am registered but don`t wear blinkers

The guy who installed it then could not be contacted again , he,d got his money and disappeared into the sunset on his horse :evil:

bananalama.gif

Namsag is spot on!

Being Corgi registered means nothing as far as quality of workmanship, operational efficiency and reliability of your system.

A year after I joined British Gas as an apprentice I had passed my ACS and qualified to be Corgi Registered!

Would I have been a good choice to install your new boiler at that stage?

No way, it takes years to become experienced and skilled at what you do.

As with any work you are having done, get at least three quotes and check references!

However...

The law states that you have to be Corgi registered to do this work so I stand by my earlier comment. It is called the 'Health' and 'Safety' Executive for a reason.

Hi everyone,

I have been given a quote on a new boiler but it turns out the guy isn't corgi approved. He did say that the actual installation of the gas supply would be carried out by a corgi approved person but the rest of the job would be done by himself.

What are peoples views on this?

Thanks!

My view is that it may be OK as long as you do not deal with this fellow directly but have the job done for you by the CORGI registered person who must do the essential parts himself.

He is traceable through his registration and you have an opportunity to complain to CORGI if anything goes wrong.

I go to so many cases of people falling for this scam. The CORGI does none of the work but just issues a Landlords Safety Certificate, which he can do, but its not what a homeowner needs.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back