Boiler Installation Approval

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just replaced my Combi central heating boiler with a new condensing type (Ravenheat). Being a capable DIY type, and having installed the original boiler 12 years ago, I felt no need to have someone install it for me. However, I wanted to comply with the latest regulations regarding approval of the installation. On checking on the legal requirements, I found several references to approval by the local authority Building Control Department, in the event that the installer was not registered with CORGI. I checked with the department concerned, who agreed that they would inspect the job before and after the installation, and they accepted my cheque for their fee.

All seemed OK until I had started the job, when the council guy called round to say that they couldn't approve the installation because they needed a commissioning certificate signed by a CORGI registered person and they had no-one on their staff so qualified. He said they would refund the fee.

This now puts me in the position of having to find a CORGI registered person to come and inspect the system and, hopefully, give me the appropriate document. I can't imagine that this will come cheap.

I believe the council have opted out of their statutory obligation, if I have read the rules correctly. Can anyone comment on the legalities of the situation and whether or not I can insist that the local Building Control people inspect the job and provide me with a certificate of conformity.

Sponsored Links
Its all about covering your own back these days, and I'm not quite sure where you go from here. Presumably the building control took the view that being a keen..and quite possibly competent DIYer..is not quite the same as having the certificates to prove competency to the extent that would cover him..let alone you. He is no more gas competent in the legal sense than you are.

There are CORGIs who will sign off work for a fee, but they are fewer and fewer as the spectre of carrying the liability for the work of others can follow you years down the line.

Its what I'd call a right b*ggers muddle really..but isn't it Gas Work Notification we are talking about not approval? In which case..you have notified them. I'm not sure, but its worth checking on.

Your problem comes when you sell the house as solicitors are increasingly asking for full details of the installer and compliance with regulations as required by the new Home Information Packs coming soon to a town near you.

Alfredo

It`s a real can-o`-worms and now the corgi doing his weekend jobs apart from his company who hold the certificate for His competence........he `s now illegal.............just wait and see how this thread goes .....2 pages @ least when the corgi`s come home tonite...............I`ve never bothered to register because I stopped touching gas work as soon as it became corgi :rolleyes: .......funny thing tho`.......back in 70`s every one was cutting the price for installing C/Htg. I tried to sell a quality bespoke system to punters ..........now the corgi`s set their own prices ........£200 for an easy half day from an old boy was 1 example I watched :eek: Bloody glad I`m retired meself :LOL:

Thanks for the comments Alfredo and Nige, I'm even more gloomy than I was. It'll be interesting to see the views of the homecoming CORGIs later.

I repeat that my intent was to fully comply with statutory requirements, while doing a job I would take pleasure in, and save a bob or two at the same time. I am retired and on a fairly fixed income, so this is important.

No-one has yet commented on my view that the local building control department have an obligation to inspect the work and issue the required compliance certificate, something which they initially accepted.

Sponsored Links
well thats news to me, I thought they did

good luck in finding a RGI willing to do that, due the "sue me" culture we live in I would not entertain it as I would want to install all the Gas stuff meself.

Thanks corgiman. I also prefer to carry out work myself if I can. With all due respect to the legally ''competent'' persons, I am comfortable with my competency and I know that the job has been properly done, not always the case with a contractor.

The problem these days is that all may be well and the boiler working satisfactorily (as mine now is), when you come to sell the house, you need to produce a certificate of conformity for the boiler.

This corgi is at home today and should be washing the van before it gets too dark. :cry: :cry:

Slaydeuk said:
The problem these days is that all may be well and the boiler working satisfactorily (as mine now is), when you come to sell the house, you need to produce a certificate of conformity for the boiler.

Trouble is that you need a flue gas analyser to properly commision most modern boilers. If you have a look in the boiler documents, you will also find a blue benchmark card which has to be filled out and signed by a Corgi.

I feel sorry for you, in fact before I was a Corgi I was in a similar situation to yourself. This was over 10 years ago. We kinda got around it by having the manufacturer commission the boiler. I think your best bet is to try and find a friendly corgi who will take pity on someone with a low income. Did you look into the warmfront scheme - as they install replacement boilers free of charge for oaps.

My view, for what it is worth, is ignore it all, u have tried to be legal but have come up against "Mr jobsworth" at the council. You obviously are comftable that you have done a good job,That should eb enough. Worry about what happens if you sell when it occurs, Are you interested in selling by the way, if you intend living where you are till you fall off your perch then its a non problem. My view of the sellers pack isthat it will collapse in council/goverment failure just like the ID scheme. If you have to sell just say it was done by mr blogs and he is now dead and you ahve lost the original documentation. The majority of the public hve no idea about new regs for either boilers or the even more stupid Part P electrical approval, so will be in the same boat. Sorry about my rantings but i get fed up with all the state nannying that is going on. If you are competant do it, if not get a professional in

I would not be intrested in registering the installation or any other installation for that matter..There are too many reprocutions to worry about. Also I would not associate myself with a Ravenheat boiler on any documentation but thats a different matter.

I had a call about this very thing the other day, i said that yes I would register it but he can pay me a days labour to stand and watch him install it so i know that every thing, down to the last detail, is right and thus im happy to put my name to it......i never heard back from him.

zinnia48 said:
My view, for what it is worth, is ignore it all, u have tried to be legal but have come up against "Mr jobsworth" at the council. You obviously are comftable that you have done a good job,That should eb enough. Worry about what happens if you sell when it occurs, Are you interested in selling by the way, if you intend living where you are till you fall off your perch then its a non problem. My view of the sellers pack isthat it will collapse in council/goverment failure just like the ID scheme. If you have to sell just say it was done by mr blogs and he is now dead and you ahve lost the original documentation. The majority of the public hve no idea about new regs for either boilers or the even more stupid Part P electrical approval, so will be in the same boat. Sorry about my rantings but i get fed up with all the state nannying that is going on. If you are competant do it, if not get a professional in

What Tripe!.......all this legislation (not just in the gas instustry) is brilliant. It stops a lot of cowboys and also lets the authorities know what is being installed out there. Lets remember its not aimed at us trademen, it's there to protect the customers. lets also remeber that a lot of DIY'ers think they are the bee's knees but infact are cutting corners, some of them quite dangerously.

You will also find it's illegal to sign off anothers work, would an RGI risk getting struck off.

Thanks all. You've now made me thoroughly despondent. I'll contact a couple of local CORGI types to discuss, but it does look as if I will be leaving it until I 'drop off my perch' and let my kids worry about it.

Well if you think that all these regulations are going to stop cowboys, or the person who hasn't the money getting it done cheaply then you really do live in a dream world. Sensible regulations are Ok, but blanket rules that say competant people cant be responsible for their actions don't seem to me to be sensible. The idea just because you've been on the course, paid the large registration fee, you somehow are competant is laughable. See one of the other topics where a corgi registed collegue of yours told a customer to reduce his water pressure by half closing his stopcock.......

i must agree with zinnia on this i dont think all these rules and regulations will stop the cowboys. And just because you have a card or peice of paper doest make you totally competant part p or corgi. isnt this just a money making scheme for the goverment . council inspection fees cost the earth these days i hate to think how much you corgis pay. i always use a corgi guy , but not because hes corgi but because i know him and he has been in the trade for years and has many years of experience and wont rip me off

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back