Boiler Installation Dilemma

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I first moved into my property a few years ago, I had a new boiler installed as the old one was knackered and practically on it's way out. I didn't know better in those days and I ended up hiring a Plumber who had been recommended to me by a friend, but who was not Corgi Registered. The boiler installation is fine - I have had no issues with it whatsoever, but as the guy who installed it was not corgi registered, the installation would therefore be deemed as illegal (as per comments on this board).
I have 3 star cover with British Gas, who come every year for a safety inspection of the boiler, and have done so the last 3 years. Not once have they complained about the installation of the boiler, or asked to see any corgi-related paperwork for it. They give me a safety report sheet every time they do this, which has details of the inspection carried out.

What would you recommend I do about this now? I have no issues with the boiler, and have peace of mind from the yearly safety inspections conducted by British Gas, but after reading comments on the board, it has got me a tad worried...

Sponsored Links
the installation would therefore be deemed as illegal (as per comments on this board).
Not so. The installation as it exists is not necessarily illegal or even "not to current standards" and is probably perfectly OK (as subsequent gas safety checks confirm). It was the act of installation which was illegal, but the offence was committed by the installer who was not Corgi registered, not by you.

Well, thats a relief. Although, i'm not sure I could locate the plumber again, even if I tried!

Sponsored Links
This is a very good way forward. It has now become almost impossible for us to install a boiler to all the required standards (economically), so best thing is you guys get a non registered bodge it and scarper bloke in on the cheap to wang it in with a few not to current standards, and just pay us for anual safety checks and service.

Maybe I should wang them in dodgy under an assumed name? No need for gwn, no inspections on my installations. Will be great to take the corgi inspector to all my service/safety checks and be able to throw the book at the installation.

I'
d be quite happy to just do checks, services and repairs.

I'm not having a go at you the poster, just playing with the situation. By tightening up on us all these regualtions are simply widening the gulf between the correct and the perfectly safe but incorrect approach. We have to take the former pathway because a corgi inspector can jump on any of our jobs unbeknown to us at any time. He has no interest in the activities of the unregistered whatsoever. Never has it been more attractive to not get corgi registered, if I wasn't, and I knew what I know today, I wouldn't.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back