Non-Corgi Install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a recommendation of a plumber from my builder. He says the guy is very good and can install a combi boiler/pipes/change plumbing etc, but is not Corgi registered. I know I will need a gas safety cert. He says he can get the cert by using another plumbing firm he uses to inspect the installation.

I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with this, and don't know whether its legal/proper?

Can anyone give me advice?

Sponsored Links
It can be difficult to find a Corgi that is prepared to certify someone else's work. If he has an arrangement with another firm then I would be a little suspicious (might be genuine, might be dodgy)

Bear in mind that "He says he can" is a long way off "he actually can". If you are having the work done by him then get it in writing that he will get the work certified at his own cost.

It would probably be far simpler to use a Corgi to do it in the first place.

BoxBasher said:
It can be difficult to find a Corgi that is prepared to certify someone else's work. If he has an arrangement with another firm then I would be a little suspicious (might be genuine, might be dodgy)

Bear in mind that "He says he can" is a long way off "he actually can". If you are having the work done by him then get it in writing that he will get the work certified at his own cost.

It would probably be far simpler to use a Corgi to do it in the first place.

dont forget Box that the "plumber" is breaking the law in the first instance

Thanks for the replies guys. Think I'll get a corgi in to do the gas stuff. Would a corgi guy usually be able/prepared to do the wet plumbing stuff as well, or is it generally accepted to get a plumber for the water and corgi for the gas?

Sponsored Links
Corgi installer will do the lot Dave.

Went to a job not to dissimular to this a couple of months ago, lady thought she was saving by getting a plumber friend in to install, he messed it all up. A friend of mine called me in, and it cost the lady a further £650 for me to put things right and commission. :LOL:

clf-gas said:
Corgi installer will do the lot Dave.

Went to a job not to dissimular to this a couple of months ago, lady thought she was saving by getting a plumber friend in to install, he messed it all up. A friend of mine called me in, and it cost the lady a further £650 for me to put things right and commission. :LOL:

Cheers for advice ;)

to be honest, I wasn't looking at it to save money, it was purely on recommendation from the builder that will be doing other stuff around the house. Think I'll get a corgi guy in!!

Be aware that the "Corgi guy" would only legally be able to issue a Gas Safety inspection form.

he would not legally be able to complete the entire benchmark certificate or notify CORGI who in return notify Building Control.

Without the B-C notification you can have difficulties when you sell the property.

Tony

Agile said:
Be aware that the "Corgi guy" would only legally be able to issue a Gas Safety inspection form.

he would not legally be able to complete the entire benchmark certificate or notify CORGI who in return notify Building Control.

Without the B-C notification you can have difficulties when you sell the property.

Tony

Self certification, notify corgi, who inturn notify BC, who inturn send cert to customer

Add, who in turn store customer's detail on computer for the details to be available by others.

See Gas-News.co.uk for details. It is said 300,000 endusers whose work has been notified, are receiving unsolicited mail.

clf-gas said:
Agile said:

Tony

Self certification, notify corgi, who inturn notify BC, who inturn send cert to customer

Not sure I understand what you mean here? Are you saying that I can still get the full cert? :oops:

No you can get your certificate what is being said is that Corgi forces it's members (sorry I mean victims) to inform them of all gas installs regardless of building control. The building control notice they arrange for you is being used as a convenient way to gather your data to exploit for Corgi's own purpose. Next they will be no doubt be offering the installers data to the Inland Revenue.

Not sure I understand what you mean here? Are you saying that I can still get the full cert?

No Dave, We as corgi installers will inform corgi of an install we have done in your property. Corgi will then notify your local BCO, you will then recieve certs. Then as DP say's a shed load of junk mail.

[quote="Nixt" Next they will be no doubt be offering the installers data to the Inland Revenue.[/quote]

HHOOOO! How very true, and how very very dare you.

Without the B-C notification you can have difficulties when you sell the property
What a load of old cobblers.

Whilst I'm not advocating non-Corgi gas work in any way, to say that you will have difficulty selling your house if you've had a new boiler fitted and Corgi haven't been notified or B-C or you don't have a benchmark certificate or PartP certificate for your new consumer unit or anything else is absolute scaremongering.
This MAY be the case in the distant future but is certainly not so now.

At a launch of GWN the Corgi rep assured all present that data is protected from anyone, and specifically mentioned the Inland Revenue...

......meaning Corgi will share it with the Inland Revenue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back