TT system,

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can someone please just clarify the earthing requiremnts for a stand alone garage when the main house is on a TT system.
I believe I have read somewhere that it requires it's own earth stake?
Thanks Guys

Sponsored Links
you shouldn't export an earth, depending on the main installation if it's TNCS your best way would be on a split load board non rcd side(main switch) and then fit an rcd garage consumer unit on a TT system. this avoids nuisance tripping

The main system is TT, the customer has requested a new consumer unit,
currently the garage is fed by a 2.5mm T & E which I beleive is contary to BS7671, I intend to fit 100ma TD RCD main isolator. followed by a split load board with 30ma RCD protection, How ever the garage is detached and stands 6m away from the main house

have you considered
house meter-
tail block-consumer unit
then
tail block RCCB TD 25mm swa which de-rated as buried in the ground will feed a 63 amp garage consumer unit

Also by using RCCB you have covered yourself for both kinds of fault situation
100ma for supplementary protection
63a rccb will cover overload protection and provide positive discrimination

Sponsored Links
Thanks Aardvark,
I will look into that, but that will still require it's own earth rod w'ont it.

Aardvark Avo said:
63a rccb will cover overload protection and provide positive discrimination

that's not correct.

I think you mean RCBO

63A RCBOs are rare although they can be assembled for MEM units.

I am not sure that you know what you're talking about.

no I mean RCCB as main switch for submain
http://www.ceepower.co.uk/RCCB's.htm

A Residual Current Breaker with Overload (RCBO) is a combination of an RCD and a miniature circuit breaker (MCB) would be retro fitted on say a TNCS system if you only had a spare way on split load on main switch side.

Please before you suggest I don't know what I'm talking about try googling the term.
As for not knowing the term RCCB these are used extensively in mobile wiring for show power (GE CAPITAL AND AGGREKO) more popular abroad

I've 2381,2391 and am registered with Elecsa ;)

great pdf dealing with garages
http://www2.theiet.org/Publish/Wire...matters_electrical_installations_outdoors.pdf

But an RCCB/RCD does not provide overload protection, which is what JohnD has picked up on. An RCBO is the closest device to what you seem to think he needs that will provide overload protection.

RCCB are avaliable as current setting, some are fixed and some such as Merlin Gerin are can be set on amp trip eg 45amps 500ma

just one example
http://www.merlin-gerin.com/MG/en/products/index_fon1_fam57_M9_DPN_Vigi.htm

we always get rccb's with overload protection, if you do not ask for this you will get rccb without any overload protection. a while back a merlin gerin rccb with overload was fitted to an installation and used as main service cutout and fire protection(500ma and load set as 45 amps and then tag sealed)(this was france and not by myself-but complied with local electricity requirement)

personally I think service cutout fuses are old hat and rccb with overload protection is the way forward

RCCBs are generally what everyone referrs to as an RCD, an RCD being a generic term which covers all the different types. RCCBs do not provide overcurrent protection on their own. RCBOs are a combination of an MCB and an RCD which do provide both functions.
Bit of bedtime reading here: http://www2.theiet.org/Publish/Wire...iring_matters_inspection_and_testing_rcds.pdf

Whats wrong with service fuses? Not a lot to go wrong with a piece of fuse wire :confused:

lets be perfectly clear about this, the rccb with overload protection are not rcbo, they are similar in size to a fused main switch not the size of an mcb.
Secondly in terms of fault this system is better at sensing faults compared to a fuse and disconnecting quicker

Aardvark Avo said:
lets be perfectly clear about this, the rccb with overload protection are not rcbo, they are similar in size to a fused main switch not the size of an mcb.
So what is the difference between an [RCCB with overcurrent protection] and an RCBO? RCBOs also come in double module width as double pole devices.
Secondly in terms of fault this system is better at sensing faults compared to a fuse and disconnecting quicker
Why would protecting a whole installation with a single RCD be safer than individual RCDs though?

my view is
rcbo is mcb with rcd,single pole
rccb double pole or 4 pole with or without overload protection

but either way call it what ever you like

never suggested that it was one rcd device, what I suggested was that the house was on a 30ma rcd protected consumer unit as tt installation.
from the tail block to protect the submain a 100ma rccb time delayed with over current to protect the sub main.
the garage would then have rcd protected consumer unit at 30ma for supplementary protection against direct contact tt install.

the end

Aardvark Avo said:
my view is
rcbo is mcb with rcd,single pole
It may be your view, but not the view of everyone else on here. An RCBO as stated before can come in different configurations, single pole, double pole etc. As you can appreciate terminology is very important in this job.
rccb double pole or 4 pole with or without overload protection

but either way call it what ever you like
OK, I'll call an RCCB an RCCB just like the IET call it.
never suggested that it was one rcd device, what I suggested was that the house was on a 30ma rcd protected consumer unit as tt installation.
from the tail block to protect the submain a 100ma rccb time delayed with over current to protect the sub main.
the garage would then have rcd protected consumer unit at 30ma for supplementary protection against direct contact tt install.
You posted before:
personally I think service cutout fuses are old hat and rccb with overload protection is the way forward
That implies the DNO service head.
Like I said before, terminology is very important. It may be if you have worked on the continent the terminology is slightly different.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back