110v USA device, hardwired to UK electrical system?

Regarding that E27 bulb that you posted, is there some safe, recessed enclosure that it could be fitted to, for use in a bathroom?
Why not just use the American enclosure and trim you already have, so long as there isn't the fan issue I mentioned earlier? The BR125 lamp referred to is the same overall size as the R40 generally specified in U.S. units (125 is the diameter in millimeters, 40 is the diameter in eighths of an inch, so both are 5 inches).

Sponsored Links
The USA uses 120v plus or minis 5% so are you sure this lamp is 110v which would be out of tolerance even in the USA?

People often say 110 or 115 even though the official standard is now 120V. Ditto for the number of people who talk about having 220V available in a garage, workshop etc. although it's officially 240V.

This is a new unit I have waiting to go in our bathroom when we get to that part of the house, which is probably very similar to what the OP has, short of possibly different trim:

DSCN3899.JPG DSCN3900.JPG DSCN3905.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN3899.JPG
    DSCN3899.JPG
    165.7 KB · Views: 135
Sponsored Links

Perfect! Exactly what I wanted! :D Thank you very much!

People often say 110 or 115 even though the official standard is now 120V. Ditto for the number of people who talk about having 220V available in a garage, workshop etc. although it's officially 240V.

This is a new unit I have waiting to go in our bathroom when we get to that part of the house, which is probably very similar to what the OP has, short of possibly different trim:

View attachment 95838 View attachment 95839 View attachment 95840

Yea, that is what I meant regarding US V, I wasn't certain.

That unit you have there (NuTone) is the only one I could find before, but as far as I could tell they don't make them for the British market. The 'MiniSunheat' unit looks like it will do the job perfectly though :)

Thanks everyone!

The Doppler effect I think? There is also a similar name for a device to listen to blood flowing which I would have called a transducer. Glad I product has been located however this has raised unanswered questions questions on inferred heating. Before this post and the research it generated I would have been quite happy to use a inferred bulb to heat a room. To start with I was indecisive, now I'm not so sure. Is there a need to worry about what seems to be a simple replacement of a bulb?

The Doppler effect I think?
Quite so.
There is also a similar name for a device to listen to blood flowing which I would have called a transducer.
Indeed. It has a 'similar name' because it also relies on the Doppler Effect! I'm not sure which bit you would call a 'transducer' - there is an ultrasonic transmitter and an ultrasonic receive (often combined), which I suppose you could call 'transducers' (they convert electrical signals to ultrasonic energy, or vice versa), but it is the electronic box of tricks to which that/they is/are connected that compares the transmitted and reflected frequencies and thereby determines the rate of blood flow.

Kind Regards, John

It seems it was invented by some one called Doppler and has nothing to do with Doppler effect. It does not transmit it simply listens for sound of blood flowing. It is nothing more than a microphone amplifier and speaker with a gel to assist the sound waves to transfer to the transducer.

It seems it was invented by some one called Doppler and has nothing to do with Doppler effect. It does not transmit it simply listens for sound of blood flowing. It is nothing more than a microphone amplifier and speaker with a gel to assist the sound waves to transfer to the transducer.
That is complete nonsense. Ultrasonic Doppler blood flow measurement (and US Doppler blood flow imaging) does exactly what I said - it transmits series of US pulses, detects the returns reflected from blood cells and then use the Doppler effect to determine the rate of movement of those cells. The only person called Doppler involved in that technology is the one (Christian Doppler) who originally described the Doppler Effect in 1842.

Kind Regards, John

That is complete nonsense. Ultrasonic Doppler blood flow measurement (and US Doppler blood flow imaging) does exactly what I said - it transmits series of US pulses, detects the returns reflected from blood cells and then use the Doppler effect to determine the rate of movement of those cells. The only person called Doppler involved in that technology is the one (Christian Doppler) who originally described the Doppler Effect in 1842.

Kind Regards, John
I agree. I used to work on those, back in the seventies.

I agree. I used to work on those, back in the seventies.
I'm glad you agree. I've also been involved with them a lot in the (fairly distant) past. The modern manifestations of US Doppler Blood Flow Imaging are in a completely different league from the fairly crude machines I used to work with and can, for example, produce very detailed multi-coloured real-time 'moving images' of the variations in blood flow in different parts of the heart.

Kind Regards, John

Yes, I've been the subject of one of those.

The ones I worked on (Huntleigh) were crude in comparison, but the technology was in its infancy. We had to stop the girls in the factory checking themselves for foetal heartbeats...

Just bear in mind that when those IR bulbs "let go", you really know about it. They explode in an impressive fashion and send shards of thin glass over large areas. I've witnessed two go - one on a farm, one in the servery at uni (they had to throw away all the food that was about to be served).
I'm not sure I'd want them in a bathroom.

Just bear in mind that when those IR bulbs "let go", you really know about it. They explode in an impressive fashion and send shards of thin glass over large areas. I've witnessed two go - one on a farm, one in the servery at uni (they had to throw away all the food that was about to be served).
I'm not sure I'd want them in a bathroom.
Really? The most I've ever seen happen is the lamp envelope fill up with some poisonous looking gas, and I have seen more than my fair share go. Those two must have had manufacturing defects

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back